Wildcat Trips: Going Far And Wide

Photo courtesy credit: John Huss Clements 

Caption: Clement’s in Maine, Acadia National Park, Taking in the view.

Micah Mayr, Reporter

Summer always feels too short for students, but many still take advantage of their time off. Students go overseas, travel coast to coast, do internships, work for and with colleges, as well as work jobs in the community. The Wildcats spread out all around the world and did great things in the short few months they had during summer break. 

Many students traveled to vacation spots like the beach or the mountains, but Sophomore Quincy Speers went to his family’s yearly vacation spot in Lake Wallenpaupack, Pennsylvania. This tradition started with his father’s childhood best friends who they vacation with every summer. 

“My dad and his friends would tell us old stories that either made me die of laughter or make me feel jealous by how much fun they had when they were younger,” said Speers. 

Every day Spears would go hiking, kayaking, and fishing. 

“At the end of the trip, I am always sad but excited and ready for next year,” said Speers.

Other students were busy this summer, but in a different way compared to the school year. Take Senior John Huss Clement, for example. He was home for a total of two weeks during the summer. Clement started the summer with a trip to a Young Life camp in upstate New York. Directly after the week-long camp, his family went on a beach trip to Fripp Island, South Carolina, where he was able to relax. 

“It was a nice break after a week of non-stop fun at Young Life,” said Clement. 

After his beach trip, Clement went to work at a different Young Life camp in North Carolina through their Work Crew program. 

Work Crew is a month of hard work that you are not paid for, but you spend this month with other high school students from all over the nation.

“It was one of the best experiences of my life,” said Clement. “I was home for a few days and then our family did an east coast trip going to New York City, Boston, Philadelphia,  and Bar Harbor, Maine, visiting national parks and big cities.”                                                       

Not many students would spend their summer working for free and spending their time away from home as Clements did.

“This summer is one that I will remember for the rest of my life, and it has changed who I am,” said Clement.

Senior Grace Fure took an educational trip. Fure spent five weeks at Northwestern University in Chicago, Illinois. Fure spent her days in acting class, Shakespearean classes, and voice & movement classes. 

“I enjoyed being a part of the production, forming connections, and just being around people who also love theater as much as I do,” said Fure.

Students over the summer did many things that deserve to be shared. There are many unique stories, opportunities, memories, and vacations that students have participated in this summer, but now the students are back together for a great school year and to let the good times roll.