CARE Organizes the Third Annual MLK Parade

Margaret Branner

Community members march the streets of Lexington, Va. during the MLK parade.

Sarah Hennis, Online Newspaper Editor

Despite the 15 degree weather, dozens of community members and visitors from other areas met in front of Randolph St. United Methodist Church to prepare for the third annual march honoring Martin Luther King Jr. Leaders and volunteers from the CARE organization were all present, passing out signs, flags, and stickers to honor King.
The Community Anti-Racism Effort (CARE) organization has hosted an annual, all inclusive parade honoring Martin Luther King Jr. for the past three years. This year, the parade was held on Monday the 21 at 10:00 a.m.
The parade was filled with high schoolers, as well as children, college students, and adults. Senior Abby Hamilton, president of the nonprofit organization Project Connection, attended the parade alongside her PC core team.
“This was my first year participating in the parade and I’m so glad I got to bring PC into it. PC is all about community, compassion, and connection and I feel like the parade really upholds those tenets as well,” said Hamilton.
The inclusiveness of the parade with other organizations, such as Project Connection, is a feature that has attracted many other of the parade’s participants. Senior Violet Jetton has attended the MLK parade all three years.
“I believe it is important to attend the MLK parade because our community is in an essential transition towards being more respectful and grateful towards diversity,” said Jetton.
The CARE organization focuses on anti-racism, but their founders and followers also push for equality of all people.
“If you believe in diversity of sex, race, or sexuality in our communities, it is important to show up and support events that are pushing to better the community,” said Jetton.
The initiative supported by the CARE organization is pushing for a better community in all aspects of the future, the parade being one stepping stone.
“I love seeing individuals from our community get outside and demonstrate something they are passionate about, with a hope that it will positively impact the future of the community,” said Jetton.