SCA Blood Drive

A flyer for Friday’s blood drive.

Maren Jetton, Reporter

The Student Council Association is holding a blood drive for The Red Cross Association this Friday, Nov. 13. It will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Originally, the blood drive was supposed to be held at Rockbridge County High School, but because of the pandemic, it is going to be held at  Grace Presbytarian Church. The church is located at 40 Village Way in Lexington, Va. SCA sponsors Davina Copsy and Pamela St.Clair sent out an informational powerpoint to all students about the blood drive. 

There is a link to sign up online and a student information page on the Red Cross website. There is also a Red Cross blood donor app that can be downloaded. Students under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the Parental Permission form, and students must bring a valid form of ID to donate. The president of  SCA, Grace Wanovich, has been very instrumental in the preparation for the event.

“The Red Cross Association is already extremely careful about social distancing and wearing masks, so we are not too worried about anyone not following not following those guidelines. SCA members like myself will be stationed throughout the gym, mainly helping students after giving blood. They will be making sure that they eat and drink enough to keep a steady blood sugar and prevent any fainting or passing out,” said Wanovich. 

“I think it is great that we are able to continue to help out in this way even through such a difficult time in our lives. Though many are suffering with the COVID-19 pandemic, blood is needed by victims of other illnesses and accidents.We are spreading the word through our personal social media and the association-owned Instagram as well. We are hoping to get all ages to come out, as long as the younger groups have their consent form with them. Though the Red Cross Association is spearheading this event, the SCA is helping to make it less stressful for everyone involved. We have even gathered help from the National Honor Society to recruit some people to donate and bring in snacks for participants.”

Ashlee Baker, a member of SCA has been very helpful with getting the word out about the event and staying optimistic through these difficult times.

“Students who give blood on Friday will be saving actual lives,” said Baker. “Especially those affected by the pandemic.”