Location switch jeopardizes prom

Brendan Donahue, Reporter

One of the most remembered high school traditions may be in danger for the upcoming classes of students. Soon, the experience of prom may change because of the recent location switch, from Evans Hall on Washington and Lee’s (W&L) campus, to the gym here at RCHS.

A location may not seem like a big deal at first look, but having prom at Evans was a large part of the experience and identity for a lot of students.

Hosting the event at Evans is something that attracts a lot of students for its off campus location. W&L provides a new and refreshing background for students, that separates prom from homecoming.

In addition, prom at Evans is special because the street in front of the hall is closed off from general traffic. This allows all who attend to take pictures with the beautiful background of the W&L campus.

The tradition of taking pictures just would not be the same with prom at the high school. Prom is a break from the usual; by hosting the dance at the school it just changes the tradition into yet another monotonous task centered around the high school, rather than the students.

Another advantage Evans has over the gym is the size of the space. Evans may be smaller than the gym, but this is actually an asset for Evans. With a smaller size, Evans creates a more intimate and mellow atmosphere.

Hosting homecoming in the gym is fine, as many more students are able to attend the dance, but with Prom, far fewer students are eligible go to the dance. Creating an atmosphere where all students feel close and welcome to each other is crucial to hosting a successful rom.

The prom for the 2016-17 school year may be set in stone for being held at the gym, but hopefully in the coming years the tradition of prom at Evans can make a recovery.