Senior Athlete Profiles

Brinson Mullis, Sports Editor

As the academic year and spring season comes to a close, many seniors will face the end of their athletic careers. However some ‘Cats will continue to play the sports they love at the collegiate level. Seniors Dalton Benson, Haley Cruz, Keely Doyle, Malik Dunn, Allie Fields, Grace Huffman, Mallory Keeley, Ben Rhodenizer, Kacie Shifflet Maria Vargas, and Reeves Whitmore, will all have the opportunity to further their athletic careers at various colleges and universities in the 2018-2019 school year.

Keeley Doyle

Keely Doyle played middle hitter for the ‘Cats’ volleyball team and will be moving on to play at Emory and Henry College next year. She has played volleyball for eight years and has accumulated several awards while playing at RCHS. In her junior season, Doyle was named to the second team all conference and all district, and as a senior she received first team all conference honors, as well as second team all district. Doyle’s favorite memory from her time playing volleyball for the ‘Cats is winning the valley district championship in her senior season.

Ben Rhodenizer

Ben Rhodenizer has played football since he was in second grade and filled the role of starting quarterback for the Wildcats’ football team since his sophomore year. In the fall he will move on to play for the Shenandoah University Hornets. Rhodenizer had an accomplished career at Rockbridge and collected many accolades during his years playing for the ‘Cats. In addition to become the RCHS all time leader in passing yards, touchdowns, and completion percentage, Rhodenizer has been recognized as the Valley District Player of the Year, and First Team All-Timesland quarterback. Rhodenizer’s favorite game at RCHS was the 2017 Homecoming game against Turner Ashby, where he threw for six touchdowns and over 450 yards

Dalton Benson

Senior baseball player Dalton Benson will move on to Wilmington College in Ohio where he will pitch for the Fighting Quakers.

He has played baseball for most of his life and is excited to have the opportunity to continue his career.

“I have been playing baseball ever since I was little and able to join t-ball,” said Benson.

Benson enjoyed playing for Rockbridge because of the many friendships that he made on the team.

“My favorite memory from playing at RCHS is just being around my teammates and having fun playing the game, the bus rides home and to games, just always having fun,” said Benson.

Reeves Whitmore

Reeves Evelyn Whitmore committed to play baseball at Virginia Military Institute for the 2019 season. Whitmore has played baseball since he was six years old and played at Rockbridge for five years, spending the last three on the varsity team. Whitmore is a decorated athlete who has collected a plethora of awards during his years as a Wildcat. He is a three time All-District and All-Conference pitcher and shortstop, and in 2017 was named a Heritage Invitational All Tournament Player.

Whitmore considers himself a team player and is willing to play any position that the Keydets might need him to fill.

“It really doesn’t matter to me. Any position they need me to fill. Hopefully infield, but whatever really,” said Whitmore.

This season Whitmore played his most memorable game against the Turner Ashby Knights. He led the ‘Cats to defeat the Knights with a two-run home run in the second inning.

Malik Dunn

Malik Dunn committed to play football for Virginia Military Institute. He began playing football many years ago and has loved the sport ever since.
“Since flag football, about seven or eight years old,” said Dunn.

At VMI Dunn will play as a defensive back and a punt returner. He has had a lot of success as a high school player and earned 2nd team honors as a defensive back and wide receiver in 2016 and 2017, as well as first team honors as defensive back in 2017.

Some of Dunn’s favorite memories came from his senior season when he was able to beat a rival team and make a run at the playoffs.

“Beating PM this year, and having a winning season. As well as making it to the state playoffs for the first time since 2012,” said Dunn.