A New Teacher For Tommorows Lifesavers

A picture of the EMT class standing outside a ambulance.

Blake Darmante, Reporter

Teacher Thomas Andrews is teaching the new EMT class this year at RCHS. The acronym EMT stands for emergency medical technician. An EMT must be prepared to respond to 911 calls, perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation, provide life support, transport injured victims, and administer immediate care for people in critical condition. Andrews gives some insight into the framework of the course.

“This EMT program expands beyond the basic EMT course, and focuses to prepare students not just to pass a certification exam but to be career ready,” said Andrews.

Students who take this course are expected to treat class with a level of professionalism and skill.

“Students are expected to be able to keep up with a fast-paced course, and adapt to changing topics. The course covers all aspects of emergency medical and trauma care, and requires a substantial amount of hands-on skill development,” said Andrews. “Students must be able to demonstrate competency of all required skills. They should be self-motivated and able to work independently, but must be able to work as part of a team to be successful.”

The vision for the EMT course leaves much room for expansion and growth to meet the ever growing needs of students interested in this career field.

“As the program becomes established, I envision being able to expand the on-the-job training aspect so that students get even more “real-world” experience. And in the future we plan to begin offering a Firefighter program to compliment the EMT program, ” said Andrews.

Andrews is one of the many new teachers this year here at RCHS and looks forward to this class.

“I’m most excited for this class as being the inaugural class of the EMT program,” said Andrews.