Football Prepares For Future

The Cats prepare on defense against Amherst County High School on September 16. Photo by Eric Young

The ‘Cats prepare on defense against Amherst County High School on September 16. Photo by Eric Young

Eric Young, Head Sports Editor

The ‘Cats’ football team could not emerge with a win in head coach Mark Poston’s first season, finishing 0-10 and in last place in Conference 31. Although the record did not turn out how Poston would like it to, he remains confident in the team’s abilities moving forward into next season.

“[I hope] to build a good foundation for next season and the future, to establish or continue to establish our JV team and to get stronger. We’ve got to physically get stronger,” said Poston.

The ‘Cats have kept games competitive this season, coming up short in multiple games, falling by a touchdown or less against opponents Parry McCluer, Robert E. Lee, William Fleming and Liberty High School.

“Our stable guys are hanging in there, and they’re playing hard,” said Poston. “We’ve played six games and we’ve had a real opportunity to win four of the six. That’s all you can ask for is an opportunity.”

Poston’s goals for the football team are not just based on the football field, but also off the field.

“Our long-term goals are to graduate as many players as we can, make good productive citizens, and we want to win as many games as we can,” said Poston.

The ‘Cats struggled against 4A Amherst County High School, losing 49-7, and against last season’s state 3A runner-up, Lord Botetourt, falling 49-14. However, Poston has been impressed with the team’s effort this season.

“They’ve done really well,” said Poston. “I’ve been real pleased with their attitudes. We got to get physically stronger.”

Junior linebacker Layton Stevens has stepped up for the ‘Cats’ defense this season, and is among the team leaders for sacks and total tackles. Stevens believes the team has shown improvements and shown the ability to compete in each game this season.

“The team has learned to compete with teams with more physical strength and numbers than we do,” said Stevens. “The biggest improvements would be our ability to execute our plays and techniques more properly at a faster pace.”

Stevens is hoping the team can build a foundation off of this season’s improvements and potentially make a run at the playoffs next season.

“My goals for next season are to simply improve further,” said Stevens. “I think the team’s goals are to take what we’ve built with our hard work this season and cash it in to have a playoff-worthy season next year.”

Stevens believes Poston’s new coaching style will be beneficial to helping the football program improve in the near future.

“Poston has given the team a stronger base to build off of, play and scheme-wise, so that we have been able to become a decent team, which I believe can grow into a great team with a little work and practice,” said Stevens.