Wiles Eager For New Hokie Football Season

The+Virginia+Tech+football+team+will+aim+to+build+off+of+last+seasons+successful+10-win+season.+

Eric Young

The Virginia Tech football team will aim to build off of last season’s successful 10-win season.

Eric Young, Head Sports Editor

Trailing 24-0 going into halftime against Arkansas in the 2016 Belk Bowl, it seemed the
Virginia Tech Hokies football team would fall short of a ten-win season. However, first-year
head coach Justin Fuente managed to rally his team back in the second half to complete one of
the largest comebacks in school history, as the Hokies went on to win the game, 35-24.
Long time Virginia Tech defensive line coach Charley Wiles found himself right in the
center of the comeback as his line needed stops to keep the game within reach.
“The game turned in our favor right before the half; we got a stop and we drove the ball
into their side of the field,” said Wiles in an email interview. “We missed a [field goal], but still
went into the half knowing we could win the game. We knew we didn’t play well the first half
and still had a shot. The key was stopping the run and we started getting pressure on the QB
which led to turnovers. It was our goal to put Virginia Tech back on the national scene, so a
ten-win season was a critical step in reaching that goal.”
The 2016 season kicked off a new chapter in Virginia Tech football, as it was the first
season in nearly three decades in which former head coach Frank Beamer was not on the
sidelines coaching. After retiring after the 2015 season, Beamer was replaced by former
Memphis Tigers head coach Justin Fuente. Fuente, known for his ability to develop quarterbacks,
brought in junior college transfer Jerod Evans at quarterback. Evans soon established himself as
the team’s starting quarterback in the summer before the season.
“He’s great with the players; they love him and want to play hard for Coach Fuente,”
said Wiles. “I love the way we practice and how we develop our players in the offseason.”
With Evans at quarterback and projected NFL players wide receiver Isaiah Ford, fullback
Sam Rogers and tight-end Bucky Hodges on offense, the unexpected Hokies became almost
unstoppable, defeating Notre Dame and Coastal division favorite North Carolina on the road,
while handling rivals Miami and Virginia at home.
For Wiles, it is tough to choose a favorite game from last season.
“I’d say it’s a tie–beating Notre Dame at their place, [senior day], and the Belk Bowl
coming from behind, 24-0, and winning 35-24, sending our seniors out the right way, with a
10-win season,” said Wiles.
With Evans, Rogers, Ford and Hodges on offense and Woody Barron, Ken Ekanem, and
Nigel Williams on the defensive line all graduating or entering the NFL Draft, both Fuente and
Wiles will have to do a bit of rebuilding this spring.
“It starts upfront,” said Wiles. “We need to develop a two deep of playmakers and guys
who can be productive. [Baron, Ekanem, and Williams] provided great leadership in my room.
We’ll miss that, plus they played very well. We need [Tim] Settle, Ricky Walker, Trevon Hill
and Vinny Mihota all to step up.”
The quarterback competition is once again wide open with the loss of Evans and backup
quarterback Brenden Motley. Freshman Josh Jackson returns after redshirting while Fuente
added freshman Hendon Hooker and junior college transfer A.J. Bush to add both competition
and depth to the roster. The annual Virginia Tech spring game on April 22 allowed the
quarterbacks to compete in in-game scenarios, but it is not expected that Fuente will announce
the starting quarterback for 2017 this early in the season. As for the rest of the offense, Travon
McMillian is back to assume the running back duties, while Cam Phillips and C.J. Carroll return
at wide receiver.
With a full slate of games this season including the revival of the West Virginia-Virginia
Tech rivalry in Landover, Maryland, and a home game against the defending National
Champions Clemson Tigers on September 30, Wiles believes that all games are equally
important. For Wiles though, he is eager to see his younger players step up on defense.
“It’s their time in the barrel,” said Wiles. “They [are] highly motivated and are all
working hard this offseason.”