Boys’ and Girls’ XC Comes to an End

Adam Webster, Reporter

With the fall season coming to a close, the Boys’ and Girls’ Cross Country teams concluded their seasons with several runners advancing to regional and state level competitions.

Junior Tieran McClure from the boys’ team advanced to regions, where he finished only three places away from qualifying for states.

“The season in general was okay,” said McClure. “I didn’t run as fast as I thought I could, but a lot of the courses we ran on seemed slow, based on conditions. I had fun though, and that’s what counts.”

McClure’s teammate, freshman Cody Faust, had a successful first season, consistently running some of the team’s fastest times.

“I definitely think that doing well my first time kind of motivated me to get better [for the future],” said Faust.

For the girls’ team, senior Mallory Keeley made it to states for the fourth time in her high school career. During the state race, Keeley came in 23rd and set a new personal record. Her favorite part of past seasons had been going to states with her team, and though she regrets that her teammates were unable to join her this year, she made the most of the race.

“It was a really chilly day, and I wasn’t expecting to do well, just because it was super cold and I couldn’t wear a lot of layers, but I was happy with the results,” said Keeley. “Knowing that it was my last season made me push myself a lot harder and really give it my all.”

Girls’ coach Christopher Bowring was thankful that the high number of  injuries the team suffered did not interfere with the girls’ overall performance or enjoyment of the season.

“I think that, at the end of the season, I look at their times and they all drop, so I know that something was done right,” said Bowring