‘Cats Swing Through the Season

Cathcart goes in for a put.

Sarah Hennis, Online Newspaper Editor

After losing two of the highest performing players on the team, graduates Grace Huffman and Trey Cathcart, the ‘Cats are pushing themselves this season to play as hard as they can.
Taking Huffman’s number one spot is senior Cole Higgins. Higgins is leading the team alongside sophomore Garrett Huffman this season.
Although holding the number one position is an accomplishment, Higgins is more focused on the team’s goals as a whole.
“Being number one on the team feels just as good as being number two or three, I am just happy to be playing the sport I love,” said Higgins. “Seedings don’t mean as much to me as long as the team is doing well. Our goal as a team is to make it back to states this year.”
Huffman holds the number two spot and is setting his own personal goals for the season as well as focusing on the team.
“Playing in the number two spot makes me push myself to be better so I can compete with more higher level golfers. My personal goal is to make the all district and all region team, and I really hope our team makes it back to states as a whole,” said Huffman.
Junior Cole Cathcart, number four on the team, has not been performing as high as he has in past seasons. Despite this, he is pleased with his other teammates progress and ambition.
“This season for me has been a large test of patience and practice, but Cole and Garrett have been stepping up to lead the team while scoring extremely low,” said Cathcart.
The team has only lost one match so far, which raised their confidence for this season.
“Each of us has the talent and potential to make it back to states, it’s just a matter of unlocking that at the right time,” said Cathcart.
Coach Miller has been coaching the golf team for several seasons, and has formed a real connection with some of the players on the team.
“Coach Miller has been the same happy-go-lucky, but straight-talking man this season. No different than every year I’ve played for him. He sets high expectations for the players and also eases tense moments with his hilarious disposition. The team is very thankful for him,” said Cathcart.
Coach Miller has been setting goals for the team throughout the season and is already proud of how the ‘Cats are doing.
“I have been extremely proud of how my team is doing, especially since we lost two of the best players I have ever seen,” said Coach Miller.
The ‘Cats have already claimed the regional championship title in previous seasons, which is always one of their goals.
“Winning the regional title means a lot to the team,” said Miller. We are on track for both district and region titles as well, and hope we can finish the season out by placing in the state competition.”
The ‘Cats took home the district championship title Aug. 20. Winning this title puts the ‘Cats on track for their next goal.
“Winning districts was an awesome experience and now we can’t wait to tackle regions,” said Cathcart.