‘Cats Come off a Historic Season

Alexandra Mason, Assistant Business Manager

Coming off of a historic season as Valley District champions, Region C champions, and the VHSL State Quarter Finalist for the 2017 season, the ‘Cats’ volleyball team is already defeating more teams this season. So far this season, the Cats’ are undefeated, beating Alleghany, Northside, and Parry McCluer, Waynesboro, Fort Defiance, Turner Ashby, and Spotswood.
“This season we started focusing on “reloading” as we had several returners from last year’s State run season,” said head coach Amanda McCoy.
After losing seniors Hannah Burch, Keely Doyle, and Erika Paredes, the team has gained three freshmen, one returning from JV, and two new to the ‘Cats’ volleyball program. Krissy Whitesell, a freshman on the team, is a major asset to the team as a setter and right side hitter.
“I am proud that I made the varsity team, and it gives great encouragement and confidence to keep going,” said Whitesell. “It feels so good to have my hard work pay off.”
This season, the ‘Cats’ volleyball team has four seniors: Kennedy Clemmer, Jaden Harrison, Mckenna Mohler, and Jordyn Wright.
“My last year on the volleyball team is extremely bittersweet. I am really excited, but I also don’t want it to end,” said Harrison.
To prepare for the season, the ‘Cats’ attended the University of North Carolina Team Camp in July. At camp, the players trained together and learned new skills, along with playing in competitive scrimmage tournament play before their season began.
Also during the summer, junior Graceon Armstrong and Whitesell attended the Duke University skills camp.
“By going to Duke this summer, I learned a lot about playing a different position other than just the middle. Instead of playing middle, I played a lot of outside and right side. Playing those two new positions helped me with my back row skills and defensive skills,” said Armstrong. “I loved the camp, and the school itself, so I would definitely go back.”
Along with the volleyball team’s success on the court, McCoy pushes their fundraising efforts to help the program . The team reached out to the community by selling Butter Braids early in the season to raise money. The team also hosted a car wash on Aug. 25 at Tractor Supply where they raised over $1,000, which they use for team equipment, concessions, and tournament fees.
“Our car wash was a great success and we enjoy the opportunity to see our community and supporters come through the line,” said McCoy. “This year we raised over $1,000.00 between ticket sales and those who came the day of the wash.”
The ‘Cats’ volleyball team will continue playing in more games and tournaments this season, striving to make more history in ‘Cats’ volleyball.
“I have been happy with our progress thus far and want to continue to focus on being the best team on the floor and “beating” our previous self, and always improving,” said McCoy.