XC Wildcats Race Into Their First Trophy of the Season

Faith Mohr, Reporter

The Cross Country team traveled to Blacksburg High School Oct. 19. For the Metro Championships. The meet was a cold 5k on a course with hills. 

There were 48 total teams at this race and out of those teams, the two top boy and girl teams get trophies. The top 15 runners in each race will also receive a medal.

The varsity girls finished strong, winning the prestigious metro invitational trophy. Girls received a score of 35 with a total time of 1:47:41 in first place. Individually, three of the girls placed top ten for the Wildcats. Junior Nicole Black came in with the fastest time, placing third and junior Deena Ludtke not far behind her in fourth. 

“This was a fun meet…our goal is always to ‘do your best and have fun’,” said Ludtke. “The course was pretty hard and people were warning us about it before the race.”

Senior Rachel Hines also ran in this race for the varsity Cross Country team. 

“The weather was a big factor in this race, as well as the competition because these schools are not in our district, but they are ranked very highly,” said Hines.

The varsity boys did not finish as strongly as the girls did, but overall, the team came in sixth with a score of 209 and a total time of 1:34:52. Senior Evan Roney was the highest placer for this meet, coming in with 16th place out of 190. 

Overall, both teams raced their best and worked together as a team for a strong outcome.

The next Cross Country meet will take place at Spotswood High School on Oct. 26. To learn more, visit Rockbridge Athletics page.