Young Vets ‘Put’ Down Competition

Nic Benke, Reporter

By: Nic Benke

It is not everyday that the local Future Farmers of America (FFA) society makes the news. Nevertheless, the members of FFA have brought attention to their chapter through their success at the State Convention, with the veterinary science team placing first in the state.

An FFA State Convention includes a variety of competitions called Career Development Events, or CDE’s. These CDE’s test students’ relevant career oriented skills and knowledge in fields ranging from milk quality to tractor technician. While there was no milk quality team from Rockbridge, a hippology and veterinary science team attended the event in late June.

“Both teams have worked really hard and their hard work has paid off,” said FFA sponsor and small animal care teacher, Lisa Martin.

The veterinary science team, including senior Autumn Huffman, senior Katie Kirkpatrick, sophomore Rose Makulen, and junior Ally Davis, beat out the whole state for first place in their event out of over 20 teams.

“It was a lot of hard work, and even though we practiced for months, it’s still hard to believe that we’re actually the best in the state,” said Huffman.

The story does not stop there. Because they won the state competition, the veterinary science team advanced to the National FFA Convention.

On Oct. 24 the team arrived at the country’s third largest convention, consisting of 67,000 people. Four days later the team emerged from the great mass of future farmers with a silver medal. Individually, Kirkpatrick earned herself a gold medal, placing 26th. Huffman, Makulen, and Davis all scored silver medals.

With these achievements, it looks as though Rockbridge can rest easy knowing that their future pets will be in competent hands.