FCCLA Reaches Nationals

Brinson Mullis, Managing Editor

This summer the Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America sent a group of students to Atlanta, Georgia for a national competition. Senior David Wilhelm and 2018 graduates Chesley Strickler, Mary Higgins, Rachel Alexander, Megan Walker, and Destiny Dunn all traveled south to participate in events that put the skills they have learned through FCCLA to the test.
FCCLA is a student-led organization that teaches high school students family and career soft skills that they can use in adult life. At the national competition, students were given the opportunity to meet with their peers as well as professional speakers.
“They can compete, they network, they get to hear awesome speakers, and get to bring the ideas back,” said FCCLA sponsor Robyn Sherman.
The students left on June 27 and stayed in Atlanta until July 3. While there, the students participated in a variety of different events.
“They competed in culinary math, life planning, and interpersonal communications,” said Sherman.
The RCHS competitors found success in many of their categories.
“We brought home four golds and two silver medals,” said Sherman.
Wilhelm competed in the interpersonal communications category with his partner. They completed research and created a project on how to address bullying in schools.
“For my project I competed in interpersonal communications with Destiny Dunn who graduated this past year,” said Wilhelm. “Our project focused on bullying in the school systems and how to better improve it with the use of technology.”

Wilhelm was able to secure a silver medal at the Atlanta competition, as well as achieving a high rank in the nation.
“We placed, I believe, seventh in the nation with a silver medal,” said Wilhelm.
Wilhelm’s favorite part of the trip was growing closer with his mentors, and learning what it means to be a leader among his peers.
“Going to Atlanta, Georgia with two of the best advisors, Mr. Wallace and Mrs. Sherman made me not be as home sick. Both have helped me learn leadership skills and how to be an effective leader throughout my time in FCCLA,” said Wilhelm. “I learned all about how to be a leader both in and out of school.”
After graduating all but one of the student competitors from this summer, FCCLA will start the new school year looking to rebuild and make it back to the national competition.