Girls Basketball at RCHS

Emma Bates, Reporter

Rockbridge County High School Girls Basketball team this year is made up of 12 young athletes that are passionate about the sport. The team is made up of 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores, 4 juniors, and 4 seniors. The Cats’ are 2-12 so far this season and they have eight games left. 

Coach Andrew Bellairs has coached basketball at RCHS for two years. 

We are in ‘building mode’ this year, after losing our two top scorers, so our goals haven’t really ever been about wins and losses but more about building a culture and setting a tone and precedent of how to behave as student athletes and basketball players on and off the floor,” said Bellairs. “Our goals were to continue to get more and more competitive both in practice and as the season goes along.”

Freshman Lola Mulitalo has been playing basketball for three years now and she plays forward. 

The team dynamic is amazing! Our coach pushes us and we work very hard but we all know how to have fun. Our team goal is to beat our record of last year,” said Mulitalo. “My personal goal for this year has been to get better on my offensive moves.”

In one of the Cats’ most recent games they defeated Riverheads High School 54-46 with Emma Clark having the leading points for the Wildcats.

Parker Dameron, a sophomore on the team, plays wing on the team. 

“This year is such an experience for me, it feels so great to be a part of a team like we have,” said Dameron “For the group of girls we have and to be so new to each other, we get along so well. Our team instantly clicked on and off the court.”

The Cats’ have high hopes for the upcoming games. The team this year has also created a new bond. 

“So far, my most memorable memory this year was our team bonding meal! Our set goals for the year are to build, learn, and change the way people view basketball at RCHS!” said Dameron.

Coach Bellairs also stated “its building mode here and we are just trying to lay the groundwork for future teams success here, but the girls are so tough, and every team we play regardless of outcome leaves the game exhausted and earning every point they get. We are always tough to play against!”

The next away girls basketball game is Feb. 7. Come out and support your  lady wildcats.

Stephanie Blevins