Pep rally rumors fly

Lily Moreschi

Senior Charlotte Abry decorates the halls for homecoming spirit week.

Lily Moreschi, Reporter

As the school year began, false rumors regarding new rules about school spirit events began to spread. Gossip circulated throughout the student body that all pep rallies and spirit days were banned, because they were considered to be distractions to education. Some students were irritated by the rumors, and argued that pep rallies should remain intact.

“[Pep rallies] get the whole school to get together and show that we’re united as one,” said sophomore class president Mary Troise. “I heard that it was a county-wide rule that we could only have one pep rally, and that was for homecoming. When I heard the rumors, I was frustrated because I think that if they’re not causing any distractions, that students should be able to show their school spirit.”

However, the rumors were proven to be entirely false.

“Nothing has been changed in regards to pep rallies,” said Principal Mike Craft. “As a matter of fact, I encourage pep rallies and think they need to be a regular occurrence.”

Craft voiced his support for pep rallies and the unity they help to promote for the student body.

“I think they’re a great time to bring the student body together, and we’re working towards making the pep rallies more inclusive,” said Craft.

Craft also intends to get more student input in order to make them more fun and effective.

“I wouldn’t say we’re changing pep rallies, but were trying to improve them,” said Craft. “When I got here, one of the things people said is that our pep rallies are not what they could be.”

As for spirit days, a few minor alterations have been made. As a division-wide initiative, schools are trying to have fewer interruptions and distractions to the educational process, thus,limiting spirit days, other than the full spirit week allowed for homecoming.

“We’re not discouraging [spirit days],” said Craft. “We just don’t want to have every day for a week, except for homecoming.”

So, other days of fun and interesting activities will be spread out in the future. Students can rest easy knowing that all the regular fun of homecoming week, as well as a few select days during the year, will remain intact and become occasions to look forward to even more.