Sickness Spreads Through the School

Adam Elrod, Reporter

Illnesses have been rapidly spreading through the school recently. Nurse Heidi Sheltman has a couple comments about the recent outbreaks.

“We have flu A and B, strep throat, a stomach virus, a virus that mimics strep, and the common cold,” said Sheltman. “The flu and strep are both very contagious, so a lot of precautions need to be taken.”

Sheltman has strategies to prevent getting sick.

“A good way to avoid sickness is to cough into your elbow. This will prevent the spread of any airborne diseases,” said Sheltman. “Other good habits are washing hands regularly, not sharing food or drinks, and keeping your hands away from your face.”

These illnesses are not uncommon though.

“These illnesses happen around this time every year,” said Sheltman. “The schools keep tabs on the number of students out.”  

Assistant Principal Richard Miller has something on the school’s protocols for fighting school sickness.

Obviously, communicable diseases such as the flu and colds flourish during this time of year,” said Miller. “While no method is 100% effective, we have taken a proactive approach in the building to stem the spread of these illnesses.”

The school is also encouraging students to take part in staying healthy.

You may have noticed in your classrooms a supply of clorox wipes to sanitize the classroom,” said Miller. “Our students are providing sanitizing services to teachers by request.”

The school can’t keep sickness out, but they can prevent it from spreading.

“Unfortunately, we can’t keep everyone from getting sick but we will exercise interventions to limit the number of exposures,” said Miller.