DI Pushes Forward

Grace Shaw, Social Media Manager

Over a year since the last in-person Destination Imagination competition, the team is looking forward to Globals for the third year in a row. Last year, they got first place in the regional competition for their event and were headed to states when everything shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In the new school year, the team has met virtually for practices and competitions. Because of the restrictions the season has looked like a lot of recording videos for the tournaments and working around schedules. For Senior Katlyn Critchley, the year has been different than normal.

With COVID-19 restrictions, we have had to come up with many accommodations,” said Critchley. “We typically use cues and body language to assist us when we are doing acting challenges. While on Google Meet, it is very difficult to not speak over each other due to glitching and lagging. Despite this problem, we figured out how to properly use verbal cues to alert our teammates.” 

Teacher and club sponsor Ashlee Payne has also felt the changes the team has had to make this year. 

“It has looked like a computer screen,” said Payne. “For a very group-based club, this has made how we operate very different.”

Destination Imagination is a club that students can be a part of all through elementary, middle, and high school, and many students are.

“I have been involved with DI on and off since elementary school. I have participated in DI all four years of high school,” said Critchley. 

Alex Hinkle, a senior and active member of the club, has been involved just like Critchley.

I’ve been in DI every year since third grade,” said Hinkle. 

DI does all kinds of different challenges and works together to solve problems.

“DI is a club in which members utilize problem-solving skills and teamwork in order to achieve a solution,” said Critchley. “Our challenges range from participating in improv to building structures with a random variety of materials.” 

The team recently had a few different tournaments and ended up with high rankings and scores. 

“We just finished the Southeast Super Affiliate Tournament and received second place,” said Payne. “This accomplishment means that we have qualified for globals for the third year in a row.”

“The team did well, we placed high, and it was very successful,” said Hinkle.

Despite all the challenges of 2020, the team stuck together and has made the season great. 

“I am extremely proud of our team and how well we have worked together during this uncertain time. We have truly grown into a family,” said Critchley. “Our team managers, Mrs. Hinkle and Ms. Payne, have been extremely supportive and helpful throughout my entire high school DI experience