A Court of Thorns and Roses Series Takes Over Rockbridge Readers

A few of the books from the RCHS’s library.

Sarah Phelps, Reporter

Recently, the series “A Court of Thorn and Roses” written by bestselling author Sarah J. Maas has taken the internet by storm. Commonly seen across “BookTok,” a subcategory of people on “TikTok,” “A Court of Thorns and Roses” has gained momentum in the past few months. This series has even captivated students to read it while walking to their next class and during any free time. 

Kate Straub, a junior at Rockbridge County High School, has read most of the series and is on “BookTok.”

“I am admittedly on ‘BookTok,’ so of course “ACOTAR” was everywhere. Eventually I couldn’t even keep ignoring it — I had to get the books or else I knew I’d never hear the end of it, so I bought them,” said Straub.

“A Court of Thorns and Rose (ACOTAR)” series consists of five books.

“A Court of Thorns and Roses,” the first book, follows a huntress, Feyre, driven by her family’s poverty. The huntress kills the wrong wolf and ends up in an entirely new world filled with Fae.

While the first book follows the love story of Feyre and her Fae captor. Soon, Feyre learns about the danger and war presiding in the world filled with creatures and courts.

The Spring Court, where Feyre had been living, turned out to not be the only court. There was the Spring Court, the Summer Court, the Winter Court, the Autumn Court, the Dawn Court, the Night Court- with the Court of Dreams and the Court of Nightmares, and the Day Court.

“A Court of Mist and Fury,” the second book, continues to follow Feyre as she realizes that she could do no good for the war-ridden world from her current position and a handsome, black haired Fae saves her from the dire situation.

“I missed a few books in the series and stopped early, but I’d have to say “A Court of Mist and Fury” was my favorite: not only were the characters so fun to meet, I really admired the relationships Maas worked into the story. They just seemed so real to me,” said Straub.

“A Court of Wings and Ruin,” the third book, starts with Feyre and the black haired Fae, Rhysand, utterly in love and still fighting a war with the Fae against the humans.

The fourth book, “A Court of Frost and Starlight,” continues following the couple as they rebuild and heal from the past wars. This book was the shortest, acting as a bridge to the next, but also giving the reader the satisfaction of a happy-ending to the couples’ story.

The fifth and final book is “A Court of Silver Flames.” This book starts with a new love story between Feyre’s sister, Nesta, and a family member of her court, Cassian.

Jenasie Winterton, a junior at Rockbridge County High School, has read the series and a few of the books numerous times.

“Nesta’s character development was just incredible considering the fact that I absolutely despised her for the longest time. However, I loved reading about all of the family moments between Rhysand, Feyre, and their court,” said Winterton.

The series has gained fame on “TikTok”’s platform and is loved for its writing style as well as its plot. 

“Though I’m sure some might disagree, sometimes the book[s] felt a little too slow-paced, which is ironic, because there was rarely a calm moment in the story,” said Straub.

People across “BookTok” have been hyping the book up and showcasing the series, thus bringing popularity of the book to RCHS.

“I would recommend these books! They aren’t for everyone — maybe even including me, sometimes — but I think just giving them a chance is worth it. Despite not finishing every book, I was left with something even from the smallest of moments, and that’s really powerful,” said Straub.

The amount of popularity the book series has received is even fueling a live adaption of the series. The impression “TikTok” has on generation z is tremendous, and the subcategories of the platform, such as “BookTok,” has persuaded teenagers into reading book series like “A Court of Thorns and Roses.”