E-hall Pass Brings Forth Mixed Opinions From Students

A+student+filling+out+an+E-hall+pass+to+leave+class.+

Reagan Woody

A student filling out an E-hall pass to leave class.

Reagan Woody, Editor-In-Chief

On the first day of school, students asking to be excused from the classrooms were met with a new system of hall passes. The E-hall pass system, an online hall pass system, an alternative to the traditional handwritten hall passes students were accustomed to, was first introduced into classrooms for the 2022-23 school year. 

Every day, each student has three E-hall passes that they are able to use. If a student wants to leave the class, they have to open up their Chromebooks, log onto the E-hall pass site, and fill out a hall pass. From there, their teacher will approve the hall pass, and the student is free to go. A timer will then be started and shown on the student’s screen to track the amount of time they are out of the classroom. Upon the student’s return, the teacher will end the timer, therefore ending the hall pass. 

According to a school-wide survey in which 238 students responded, 48 students feel like E-hall pass made them feel more comfortable going to the bathrooms and maneuvering through the hallways, while 190 students felt like it did not make them more comfortable.

Results of a school wide poll show that a majority of students feel that E-hall pass has not made them feel more comfortable going through the hallways. (Reagan Woody)

To many students, filling out an E-hall pass can be an arduous, exasperating, and rather time consuming way to simply ask to leave class for a few minutes to run to the restroom or library. However, many students are unaware as to why the new online hall pass system was initiated into the classrooms. 

Assistant Principal Mr. Scott Fleshman shares the reasoning that the E-hall pass system was introduced into the school. 

“We needed a better handle on student movement around the building, to keep the school safe,” said Fleshman. “Basically [to] monitor student movement,” said Fleshman. 

Fleshman also wishes for students to know that E-hall pass is not meant to be a taxing addition to their school days, but as a form of security and protection to students.

“Mainly, I hope that students see that it is an effort to help them feel safer at school and feel like we are doing everything in our power to ensure everybody’s well being,” said Fleshman. 

On the other hand, some students feel as if the new hall pass system is a troublesome addition to their school days. Senior James Greaver shares his thoughts on the addition of E-hall pass into his classes.

“I understand that it is meant for a good purpose, but when you really think about it, it may look good on paper, but putting it into action is questionable,” said Greaver. “Personally, I feel like the students have lost a sense of freedom when using it.” said Greaver. 

Greaver continues to explain why he finds the new hall pass system a difficult addition to student’s school schedules. 

“It makes it more complicated for students to simply go to the bathroom or the nurses office. It also adds stress on students knowing that they are timed when going to the bathroom,” said Greaver. “For example, in the instance a student feels sick, they may need extra time in the bathrooms. With this new E-Hall Pass however, it makes them feel rushed to get back to class in time.” said Greaver. 

Though students may have differing opinions on the usage of E-hall pass throughout the school year, it has been planned to keep this system for years to come. To view student opinions surrounding E-hall pass, visit Evan Roney’s pro-E-hall pass article here, and Elliot McDonald’s anti-E-hall pass article here. For a video tutorial on how to use E-hall pass, visit here