Thompson’s Turf War to Take the Field

Two+students+color+a+Thompsons+Turf+War+poster.+

Reagan Woody

Two students color a Thompson’s Turf War poster.

Reagan Woody, Editor-In-Chief

Scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 20, 2022, Thompson’s Turf War will take the field starting at 7:00 pm. Thompson’s Turf War, formerly known as the annual powder puff football game during Homecoming week, had a name change to honor Ms. Sandra Thompson, a former RCHS government teacher who passed away in July due to cancer. Along with the game, there will be a dedication ceremony starting at 6:00 pm at Thompson’s Pavilion, which is located behind the cafeteria. There will also be a scholarship awarded to a CTE student in honor of Ms. Thompson, and a bonfire will follow the Thompson’s Turf War game. 

Junior Ciara Staton shares what has been planned for Thompson’s Turf War and the dedication ceremony. 

“The logo [for the game] is her favorite flower, which is a day lily and [an] iris. The colors [for jerseys] are blue and lavender. The seniors [will wear] blue because it was one of Thompson’s favorite colors, and the juniors [will wear] lavender because it is the color of the  ,” said Staton. “The dedication is at the pavilion behind the cafeteria and the dedication is talking about her as a person and dedicating the pavilion in Ms. Thompson’s name,” 

Mrs. Robyn Sherman, a close friend and colleague of Ms. Thompson, shares the plans for the Thompson’s Turf War Football game and dedication. 

“The dedication will be upbeat, but something that embodied Thompson,” said Sherman. “Different people will be speaking that night, and her family will be here, and some former students will be in attendance,” 

Sherman then continues her thoughts on the legacy Ms. Thompson left. 

“Ms. Thompson was very dedicated to her students [and] to the school. She loved working here,” said Sherman. “She was all about school spirit and she wanted to give [students] a close knit school community. She has left an awesome legacy and she was there for our kids and our grand kids,” 

Ms. McKenzey Robinson, the hospitality teacher at RCHS, shares the plans for the bonfire after the game and scholarship that will be given out. 

“The bonfire is because Ms. Thompson really wanted to get students to be high schoolers and that is just a way for them to get together and celebrate together during homecoming week,” said Robinson.

In addition to the bonfire after the game, a scholarship will be given out in honor of Ms. Thompson. 

“The scholarship [which is called the] Sandra. L Thompson Memorial scholarship is going to be going to a CTE student,” said Robinson. “It is to help to pursue careers in trade and non traditional four year college degrees,” 

The dedication ceremony will begin at 6:00 pm, and Dr. Michael Craft will be speaking in addition to Thompson’s sister and niece. Face painting will be available from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm, and the game will start after the dedication ceremony.