New Chain Restaurants Raises Competition

Grace Fleshman, Reporter

Cameron Terry, a reporter on the Prowler staff, contributed an article to the Prowler website. She described the arrival of two popular fast food restaurants, Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A, Jersey Mikes, and Dunkin Donuts. If interested in viewing her article visit https://rchsprowler

She included quotes from students regarding the success of the chain restaurants. Both quotes said that these chains will have a lot of success. This success could raise competition between local and chain restaurants. 

Not only have the building of these chain restaurants caused excitement, but they have also caused worry because of the chance local restaurants could be put out of business. 

The community enjoys eating at the one-of-a-kind local restaurants because of their extraordinary characteristics. This is a major reason why this concern has spread. 

Junior Haedyn Hartless describes how he feels about the matter and how being a worker at Macados, a local restaurant, has affected his opinion. 

“I think that the new chain restaurants will definitely create some competition between other chain restaurants. But, I believe that the local restaurants will be fine,” said Hartless.

Not only is the food good, but the local buildings themselves make customers feel happy and safe while dining. 

Hartless goes on to explain why he thinks local restaurants are better. 

“I think that local restaurants have character and charm that just isn’t present in chain restaurants. It also feels like what you do matters a lot more than working for a mega-corporation that has hundreds of locations,” said Hartless.

A major reason why students wouldn’t want local restaurants to be replaced is that their food is unique and these restaurants bring a homey and kind environment for customers. 

Sophomore Sarah Brown shares why she hopes local restaurants continue to thrive.

I would rather eat at a local restaurant. The flavors are so amazing! Plus you can only get them locally and not just anywhere in the world,” said Brown. 

A poll was sent out to students regarding the competition between these two types of restaurants. It asked: Would you rather eat at a local restaurant or a chain restaurant? 

The results highlighted a true winner. About 90 students voted they would rather eat at local restaurants. On the other hand, about 20 students voted they would rather eat at chain restaurants. 

These results show that students and the community don’t want local restaurants like Don Tequilas, Golden Garden, Napa Thai, and many others to be replaced. They want to continue to eat at the local restaurants that may be special to their family and friends. 

Familiar, safe, and happy are many words to describe the environment in these unique and one of a kind restaurants. They create a better experience knowing you aren’t eating somewhere that has up to 100 different locations in the country or even world.