Tips on How to Find a College Roommate

Senior+Anna+Cunningham+uses+Instagram+to+look+for+a+roommate.+

Senior Anna Cunningham uses Instagram to look for a roommate.

Eleanor Dare, Sports Editor

For seniors in high school headed to college, finding a roommate can be one of the most stressful things about going to college. There are a lot of questions like how do I find one? What  if this person is crazy? What if I never find a roommate? Thankfully, there are a lot of resources to help find a roommate. Colleges used to have just random roommate assignments and they still do today, however, there are other ways to get a roommate.

There are Instagram pages for upcoming college freshmen. Senior, Sofia Vargas was fortunate enough to have a family member going to the same school as her. 

“My roommate is my cousin. We are both going to the Citadel and just requested to room with each other. It was pretty easy,” said Vargas 

Not all students are lucky enough to be going to college with a family member. Senior Terry Netusil found his roommate a different way than Vargas. 

“I took a one week trip to Woodrow Wilson and I encountered him there. I was very lucky to find one,” said Netusil.

The biggest way students find college roommates is through Instagram pages. Many colleges have pages where incoming freshmen can post a couple pictures and a little bit about them in hopes of finding a roommate. Senior Anna Cunningham used social media to find future college friends.

“At Furman, we get assigned roommates; we aren’t allowed to request them. But there are still Furman ‘27 Instagram pages where we can find friends! I think it’s a really helpful resource,” said Cunningham. 

Some students do not request roommates and just do random assignments but that is being moved away from. It is better to have a roommate that you know you are going to like rather than a roommate that you might be completely different from and not enjoy their company at all. 

So whether it is an Instagram page or meeting someone during an admitted students day, there are lots of ways to find a roommate and take another step towards going into college.