Junior Sinthya Darlenne Cruz- Perez is in her second year of journalism. She decided to continue journalism because her first year was filled with a lot of fun. She enjoys writing, poetry, listening to...

James Baker

Humans of Rockbridge
James Baker

“Music has always been a part of my life. I have been playing an instrument since second grade, but it wasn’t until middle school I picked up the saxophone. It introduced me to jazz. Jazz is my favorite genre to play. Every part of it is interactive; your notes, rhythms, even the style is dependent on the other musicians. In the middle of a song, one might change, and as a player you adapt. It allows for a truly creative and unique space. However, these interactions require a band both skilled and experienced with playing with each other. To develop that space, last year I got a few friends together and we began playing together for fun, over time, this evolved into a brass band. With a group of musicians, I took this as an opportunity to begin composing. While brass band music is not very complex, the experience of composing has helped me advance as a musician.” -Senior James Baker