Incoming Freshmen Transition to High School Virtually

Freshman Ella Schmidt completes an assignment at home.

Grace Frascati, Head Managing Editor

As all Rockbridge County schools have shifted to virtual instruction, incoming Freshmen are faced with an unusual transition from middle school to high schoolーa transition likely very different from the one they had in mind. Instead of being able to wander the halls of their new school and familiarize themselves with it, freshmen are entering high school from the comfort of their own homes. 

Freshman Ella Schmidt is one of the new freshmen students who is experiencing this unconventional transition in the midst of virtual instruction. 

“Ever since my sister and brother were at RCHS, I’ve wanted to know what it is like as a student,” said Schmidt. “Although entering high school virtually is definitely difficult and different, it is actually pretty nice too.”

Freshman Micah Mayr is another student who has entered high school quite differently from how his siblings did.

“It doesn’t bother me that much,” said Mayr. “I enjoy the atmosphere, nice teachers, and most of all, the students are achievement driven.

Because of the virtual format, freshmen have yet to meet their new teachers in-person and have only seen them through a computer screen. 

“I was nervous about how much time I would actually speak with my teachers, but they are reaching out and talking with me,” said Schmidt. “The teachers seem to really want to connect with their students and make our time at RCHS worthwhile.”

Not only are their academic experiences different, but freshmen are also unable to meet new students who they did not go to middle school with. 

“If we were doing in-person, I feel like I would have more interaction with my teachers, and I would become friends with different people,” said Schmidt. “Right now, I haven’t really talked to different people than I did before high school, but I know that I would have if we were in-person.”

Fortunately for the Freshmen, RCHS held a virtual freshmen orientation, so they could at least have an introduction to the school prior to their first day of virtual learning on Sept. 8. Typically, orientation is held at the school, and students get to visit all of their new teachers in their classrooms. This year, students entered into their new teachers’ Google Meets to greet them.

“The Virtual Freshmen Orientation was amazing. Everything was easy, and it ran smoothly,” said Schmidt. “It was nice to see our teachers before we actually started school, and to ask questions and get answers right away. It was put together so well, and I liked it very much.”

Although the school year likely poses many challenges, Schmidt is still optimistic about it. 

“I’m excited to learn again, but also to meet new people and teachers, whether virtual, hybrid, or in person,” said Schmidt. “I can’t wait for all the new things I am going to learn and do this year.”