W&L Takes on COVID-19

Adam Elrod, Reporter

W&L has come back to in-person school this year. To keep track of the COVID pandemic, both schools have been keeping a running number of the cases in their schools. At W&L, the COVID dashboard count is 1747 tests and 61 positive cases since August. Paul Youngman is the head of the COVID planning board at W&L. 

The university is taking a multifaceted approach that includes testing, contact tracing, and isolation and quarantine procedures,” said Youngman. “Beginning August 24th, the university implemented a robust testing program, which included diagnostic and symptomatic testing, asymptomatic contact testing, and surveillance testing.”

W&L has implemented guidelines for students in the community and rules for behavior on campus. 

“In addition to testing, contact tracing, and I/Q protocols, we have also implemented community standards (outlined in our Statement of Community Expectations) and student life expectations (outlined in our Statement of Student Life Principles and Expectations), which are being enforced in a variety of ways,” said Youngman. “A small number of students have been required to move to all-virtual instruction for the remainder of the Fall Term as a result of COVID-19-related conduct violations. However, most of the COVID-19 violations we have had on campus to date have been related to distancing, face coverings, and small gatherings, and have been handled through education and lesser sanctions.”