New Teachers at RCHS

IG: @rchs_sca

SCA hosts an ice cream social for new teachers.

Caroline Diette, Reporter

As the school year starts and students return to RCHS, there are a lot of new teachers that students may not have the opportunity to get to know. To help with that, four of the newest additions to the Wildcat family have agreed to help students get to know them better with this teacher feature article.

Maryann Wolfe, joining the English Department, has been teaching at the college level for 18 years. She moved here from Garrett County, MD and has enjoyed Rockbridge County so far. 

I’ve taught a lot of writing classes, including essays, creative writing, and even food writing,” said Wolfe, “I am really liking meeting new people and feeling like this is where I belong. I like getting to know everyone and learning more about the community I’m now a part of.”

Outside of school, Wolfe has a grey and fluffy 15 year old cat named Aspect, who happens to love cuddles and cheese. Wolfe also plays the handbells. 

I usually play the bass ones. They are big, and range in weight from 4-9 pounds. I often have a table full of bells, so it’s like weight lifting while dancing. It’s a lot of fun, and it makes beautiful music,” said Wolfe.

Upstairs in the Math Department, Lindsay Wiedrich has joined the team as a first year teacher. Wiedrich emphasized the support and feeling of community she has received in her limited time at RCHS.

“There is definitely a learning curve,” said Wiedrich, “but I’m not giving up yet. It’s great getting to work with people who are also my friends.” 

When asked about personal facts she would like to share with the Prowler’s readers, Wiedrich said she played volleyball in college and is most likely one of the youngest staff members.

In the Special Ed department, Donnie Perkins is actually rejoining the RCHS staff after teaching two years at Maury River Middle School, two years at Rockbridge County High School, and then taking a break from teaching for three years. He mentioned the biggest readjustment he has to make this year is relearning Google. 

“I love the family atmosphere that is shown between faculty and staff,” Perkins said. “The dedication of administration and staff to serve their students and community.” 

Perkins also enjoys spending time outdoors and, for any readers with a sweet tooth, Perkins used to make Reese’s Cups for Hershey. 

Lastly of our featured teachers, Bernadette Bowen is joining RCHS after a long road that came full circle. Her background is in Medicine and Earth and Biological Science and she holds the title of a certified Virginia Master Naturalist She taught preschool and Montessouri for ten years before beginning at RCHS eight years ago as an Instructional Aid. Bowen went back to college and graduated with a dual degree in Elementary and Special Education, and she is currently working on her Masters as a Reading Specialist. She has also worked at both Natural Bridge Elementary and Maury River Middle School. Bowen has had a difficult time transferring to the high school.  

“Just like our Freshmen, I was uncomfortable facing the unknown and especially leaving my friends behind and making new ones,” said Bowen. “There was no need to worry, though, as I have been welcomed with open arms and have been able to reconnect with old friends and am happily making new ones.” 

Aside from that, Bowen and her husband live in BV with her nearly college-grad son, their border collie, Sam, and cat, Kittimon. Outside of school she enjoys being outside. 

“We love being together as a family, especially when we can kayak, explore the mountains and rivers by foot or car, and watch action and sci-fi movies on the couch,” said Bowen.

And interestingly enough, Bowen’s great Uncle is apparently a famous Italian mobster who was the inspiration for the character Don Corleone in The Godfather movies.

Hopefully in the future you can feel more comfortable to stop by and chat with any one of these new teachers to help welcome them, or re-welcome them, to the RCHS community. 

Said Wolfe, “Honestly, there are many ways that it makes me feel at home.”