Remodeling The Technical Center

Floyd S. Kay Technical Center Entrance.

Baileigh Ramsey, Reporter

The Floyd S. Kay Technical Center (FSK) at RCHS houses many classes, including.  building trades, auto body, nurse aide, welding, electronics, and culinary classes. These classes are electives you can take depending on what you want to do in your future or if they interest you. 

The Floyd S. The Kay center was built onto the RCHS building, and plans are underway to remodel and update the area to new technology. The school board got surveys from teachers and students to see what they would like to have in the new technical center. They also got surveys from the community to see what features of the CTE program would be considered most important. 

The most important feedback they gathered was the communication between students and teachers of those classes needed to be more open. The FSK area now is at the back of the school and is separated from the normal classrooms, lunch room, etc. 

One thing important about this rebuild is opening the space up to the rest of the school and allowing the students to pass by these particular classes during their class change, basically making a hallway loop. 

The project renovation cost will be $7.7 million. It will include opening up the hallway to everyone, having an outdoor commons area to provide an outdoor work space, dining area, or extra room for business meetings. 

Students will not be affected during this transformation. There will be times when certain CTE classrooms will be off limits, but others will remain. Some classes will have to move to an available space in the school, or to an outside classroom.