Bans do not Solve Conflicts

Colby Ervin, Reporter

The recent struggle between white supremacists and counter demonstrators in Charlottesville has caused a renewed surge of anger against the long dead Confederate States of America and the country’s flag. These events, along with the surge of anger, have brought up the question of whether the Confederate flag should be banned in the public school system, specifically this school. The answer to this question is clear; no, the Confederate flag should not be banned from schools. Instead, all flags should be permitted.

Although my answer may initially cause confusion, allow me to give further explanation.  We all have our own perspectives, opinions, feelings, and interpretations of ideas and symbols. Under the dress code described in the student handbook,  “Clothing that contains writing and/or images that communicate inappropriate messages about drugs, alcohol, tobacco, e-vapor products, violence, sex, race, gender, religion or ethnicity are prohibited.”  To say that anybody wearing clothing with a Confederate flag is trying to instigate conflict over racism and discrimination is, in itself, profiling. To say that a country’s flag is an inappropriate message is a statement biased in hate against the facts of history. We are all allowed to dislike the ugly truths and horrific incidents of history, but by banning these symbols, erasing these facts and pretending they never happened, we only set the future up for failure.

The Confederate States of America was its own country from 1861-1865. Although a country’s flag may factually represent the country and its ideals, the flag will mean something different to each individual. The Confederate flag does not stand for the south in a war which was supposedly fought only for and against slavery.  What it truly represents are the people who fought for their families, land, towns, and nation. Contrary to what people believe to be true, and what people want to believe is true, the causes for the secession leading to the American Civil War were not solely for slavery, but also because of economic disruptions caused by the federal government, the desire for an increase in the power of a state’s government, and political anger over Lincoln’s election and his stances on standing laws and state’s rights.

If the Confederate flag were to be banned from the school due to its association with oppression, what would happen to other flags, such as the Italian and Japanese? Both of the example countries are guilty of far worse crimes than the Confederacy. Prior to and during WWII, Italy massacred civilians of Libya, Ethiopia, Greece, and Yugoslavia. Around the same time, the Japanese government consistently forced pleasure slavery, allowed illegal methods of war, carried out human experimentation and gave complete freedom to their military, which lead to the Nanking massacre and accounts of cannibalism on certain Pacific islands. Yet, these flags are left unquestioned.

My point is that many countries, at some point in their histories, committed terrible crimes and caused oppression to large groups of people, examples being the French bourgeoisie, Great Britain’s child labor, Russian gulags, the Spanish oppression of the Basques, and the list continues.  Thus, if the Confederate flag were to be banned, I would expect all flags from all nations to be banned from school, including that of the U.S.A. The past of the U.S.A is covered in oppression and conversion crimes. A prominent example of this massacring is General George Custer’s campaign against the Sioux, which ended in 1876, 11 years after the American Civil War ended. If all flags from other nations were to be banned, except that of the U.S.A, how would that reflect upon ideals of equality and acceptance?  Just as well, how would banning only the Confederate flag reflect on America’s ideals of equality?

Speaking of equality, we should consider not only flags of countries, but flags representing ideals, opinions, and views on society and politics. One such flag which is brought up very often in the high school is the equality rainbow flag, representing the GSA, or Gay Straight Alliance, and pushing for equality for those in the LGBTQ community. I personally agree with these ideals and would hate to see this flag banned, but it is no secret that some disagree with what the equality flag stands for, much in the same way that some others do not agree with the Confederate flag. So, if the school were to ban the Confederate flag because it may supposedly endanger students and because the connotations convey biased opinions, the equality flag should be banned for the same reasons. To state it bluntly, if one flag were to be banned and not the other, that would not be equality. Rather, that would be a prime example of discrimination against those with differing beliefs. As a concerned student, I want this school, and all schools, to strive for equality without a bias, but with inclusion for all beliefs and opinions.

Some students have criticised the school administration, calling them cowardly for not yet enacting a prohibition against the Confederate flag. These insults are inappropriate and false. In these claims, the word cowardice, which is defined as a fear to face opposition, is used incorrectly. Ironically, enacting a ban is based in a fear of conflict. Cowardice is running away from and hiding problems and conflicts. Rather than making hollow claims, students should acknowledge differences in opinion and custom, then push to resolve problems through open-minded communication and unbiased problem solving. The problem here is that these falsities only cause more dispute and solve nothing.

An often used argument for the suppression of  the Confederate flag in schools is that it has been the cause of inter-student violence and has, thus, brought harm to many students. However, I came to realize that banning the flag would by no means solve the problem of racism. Banning the flag would only eliminate a scapegoat for the cause of the anger towards differing opinions and cultures. The responsible and morally just course of action would not be to run from the problems facing us,but to face them, learn from them, and grow to coexist with conflicting views. This will create a stronger, more open, and more accepting society.

Instead of suppressing the Confederate flag, or any symbol, schools should work to educate students so that each person understands all perspectives and all histories. Broad understanding of all people would benefit our culture far greater than a ban would. Anger cannot be stopped by banning symbols and flags and covering up the past; anger can be softened finding the true source and enlightening all about the reasons behind it. For the current situation, the true source is the misunderstanding that the Confederate flag simply stands for the oppression of African Americans. History is prone to repetition and new generations cannot learn from history that is not visible to them. Furthermore, personally, in RCHS, I have rarely seen a Confederate flag, and they have not started fights.  

We must stop creating problems and instead focus energy on finding our common bonds to strengthen our society. To support freedom, equality, and the forward movement of society, no flag should ever be banned from schools.