Monster Versus Red Bull

A student drinking a sugar-free monster during class.

Sarah Phelps

Sarah Phelps, News Editor

Currently, there are more than 34 Monster Energy Drink flavors and only 16 Red Bull Energy Drink flavors. Recently, I have been getting more into the energy drink scene and have found that I favor Monsters over the other energy drink brands such as Red Bull.

I know that any energy drink is not particularly good for you, but, in my personal experience, the Monster flavors reign superior over any Red Bull flavor.

When I drink a Monster, most of the time I can chug it and happily enjoy it. Obviously I do not like every flavor, and some are hard to drink, but I have yet to find a Red Bull drink that I can just chug and happily enjoy. 

The first time I ever had an energy drink was before watching a lacrosse game, and it was a Bang. I quite literally wanted to walk off the bleachers and run twenty laps on the track. Considering Bangs have 300 milligrams of caffeine, and keep in mind you should not go over 400 milligrams of caffeine a day, it makes sense the amount of energy I had.

I definitely would drink a Bang perhaps before competing in a sports event or running a marathon, but for a late morning or just a simple pick-me-up, I would recommend Monster.

Between an eight ounce Red Bull and an eight ounce Monster, the dietary values do not differ much from each other.

Here is a comparison between an eight ounce Red Bull and an eight ounce Monster, courtesy of Healthline:

Energy drinks are not the best for your health, so if you do drink any, I would recommend finding a sugar-free option. That is one of my favorite aspects of Monster is the amount of sugar-free flavor options.

You can buy energy drinks just about anywhere, so stop by a 7/11 gas station and pop open a can. Again, healthy adults should not consume more than 400 milligrams of caffeine a day, so remember to drink caffeine safely.