Isabella Borgo

Grace Frascati, Reporter

Junior Isabella Borgo is an exchange student from Northwest Italy, along the coastal regions. Borgo is fascinated by the greenery in Lexington, which she did not have back home, as she formerly lived in a town surrounded by buildings.
Another aspect of America which intrigues her is the differences in connections between Americans versus between Italians. Borgo notices these interactions as she is introduced to new students and teachers at the high school.
“I think here people are more open with each other and are friendlier with everyone. In Italy, they are more closed. In Lexington, people talk more and are more kind with people. They speak without problems,” said Borgo.
In Italy, Borgo’s school had no extracurricular activities.
“Our school didn’t organize anything for our students,” Borgo said. “There was just a music room, but you needed to book it. It’s just an empty room, where you can go and play your instrument. I didn’t ever go there.”
Outside of school in Italy, Borgo liked horseback riding and going to the gym every day. At RCHS, Borgo looks forward to being involved in the Environmental and Outing Club. For her classes this year, she enjoys physics and Latin, though she sometimes struggles with juggling three languages in Latin class.
“It’s difficult because I have to first translate the Latin into Italian and then translate the Italian into English,” said Borgo. “The English [language] has been a struggle for me because I’ve been studying English for 10 years, but it’s completely different; because when I study English in Italy during class, we don’t really speak it. Here I have to speak it with everyone for everything.”
Borgo stays in touch with her family and friends from Italy.
“I don’t miss my parents or my friends because I speak with them by phone or Skype,” said Borgo.
Borgo also misses her school schedule.
“In Italy, I didn’t have one schedule. My schedule changed every day,” Borgo said.
Another major difference in Italy is that the teachers change classrooms, while the students stay in the same classroom for the extent of the school day. This requires a much more sedentary form of schooling than in Lexington, where students walk to each of their classes.
Borgo is looking forward to progressing with her year away from home as an RCHS student, as she continues to adapt to the differing lifestyle in Lexington.