Swimming vs. Alleghany

Lily Moreschi, Reporter

In the first swim meet of the season, the ‘Cats boys and girls swim teams beat Alleghany. The girls lapped Alleghany, ending the night 132-37, and the boys were victorious with a score of 120-25. Points are awarded based off  finishing place in each race.

The ‘Cats won the girls’ 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:58.73. This time clocked in at a second faster than the state-qualifying time and over 20 seconds faster than the runner-up from Alleghany. Team members were Isabel Pfaff, Allison Gigante, Petra Cipolla and Olivia Abbott-Havers.

Cipolla, a foreign exchange student from Italy, also recorded state-qualifying times in the 100-yard butterfly (58.13 seconds) and the 100-yard backstroke (1:01.66).

Including these wins, the girls won all eight individual races and all three relays. Liesel Nelson won the 200-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle. Gigante was victorious in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard breaststroke. Abbott-Havers triumphed in both the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle.

In the 200-yard freestyle relay, Liliana Vargas, Nelson, Gigante, and Pfaff teamed up, resulting in a win. Nelson and Vargas then joined Cipolla and Abbott-Havers to win the 400-yard freestyle relay.

The boys won seven individual races, as well as both of their relays. Trey Williams, Grant Schwarzmann and Tal Gibbs won two races each. Williams won the 100-yard backstroke and the 500-yard freestyle, Schwarzmann conquered the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard butterfly, and Gibbs took first in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard freestyle.

Williams, Schwarzmann, Gibbs, and Charlie Hepner teamed up, winning the 200-yard medley relay. Schwarzmann and Gibbs were joined by Paul Grajzl and Jordan Rodi to win the 200-yard freestyle relay.