RCHS Indoor Track And Field Team Sprints Their Way Into A Win

A sprint race preparing to start at the Keydets Indoor Track and Field Invitational Meet at Virginia Military Institute in the Corps Physical Training Facility.

Reagan Woody, Opinion Editor

On Jan. 8th, 2022, the Rockbridge County High School indoor track and field team participated in an invitational track meet competing against other high schools at Virginia Military Institute. Throughout the day of events, many Wildcat track athletes set new personal records in running, throwing, and jumping competitions. 

Sophomore Malcolm Kosmas, who is a runner and jumper for the boys indoor track and field team, shares his thoughts on how the invitational meet went. When asked about how the team prepared, Malcolm shared the amount of work they put in. 

“We spent a lot of days at practice running, stretching, and even more running. We have been working every day in the cold, snow, and wet. I think everyone has put in a good amount of work, and we are well prepared. We really have spent a lot of time fine tuning everything.” says Kosmas. 

Kosmas continued by expressing his thoughts on how the day went. “We have done really well. We had a very strong four by eight race. The mile race also turned out really well. There were about four heats in that race, and I ran in the second heat. The long jump competition was good, as I competed in that and had solid jumps. Everyone has done a really good job today, and we are all really psyched.” said Kosmas. 

After the Keydet Invitational, the indoor track team has one more meet to attend. Kosmas is ready to begin practicing for that, and continues by sharing his excitement. 

“After today, we will compete in another meet at Liberty on Jan. 29. We are going to prepare for that by doing the same thing, which is grinding every day. It is tough because RCHS does not have an indoor track, so we have to run out in the cold.” says Kosmas. He continues by saying, “But we just work every day, even on the weekends. Sometimes we double up and do a light practice and then go into a hard workout later in the evening. Everyone is just doing their own thing and working with the coaches to produce the best results.”

As the indoor track and field team continues to flourish on in their season, you can keep up with events and scores for both teams. To see the girls team’s information, visit here. To visit the boys team’s information, visit here