Senior Signings

Miller Jay looks for a pass during an away game

Eleanor Dare, Sports Editor

Continuing to play sports at a collegiate level is a rare and exciting occasion. Many of the beloved seniors will be continuing their sports career for the next four years. This article features four of those athletes. Emily Mahood will be attending Ferrum College to play basketball as a guard. She plans to study Psychology. Picking a college is a big decision and can be very difficult. “I love the environment and tight knit community! It was also a good distance from home” says Mahood. Playing a college sport can be very exciting and adds to your college experience. When asked what she was most excited for, Mahood said “Building relationships with my new teammates.” 

Jaden Richmond will be attending Ferrum College to play football as a defensive end. He plans to study Sports Management. Richmond had a big decision to make as to where to go to college. “I really enjoyed the way the coaches and players made me feel like family from the first time I went to visit,” Richmond said. Even though being a college student is exciting, it also comes with difficulty. When asked what his biggest challenge was, Richmond said “Finding the right place to call home for 4 years.” 

Kendall Nye will be attending Liberty University to play lacrosse as a defensive player. She plans to study Elementary Education. Nye is looking forward to traveling around the country with her team to play the best teams. 

She chose Liberty because of “the welcoming community from coaches and players and the high level of competition everyday.”
Along with the other athletes, Nye too has some challenges she will have to face. “[My biggest challenge will] probably [be] getting my fitness up to meet the different tests I will have to pass to play.”

Miller Jay will be attending Virginia Military Institute to play football as a quarterback. He plans to study Business and Economics. “I chose VMI because I will get the opportunity to play football in an offense that really suits me and it is also a fantastic academic school and has the highest job acceptance in the country. I also believe that the whole VMI environment will be tough but also very beneficial to me in the long run.” Jay states. After playing football for RCHS since he was in 8th grade, Jay is getting the opportunity to continue for four more years. “[I am most excited to have the] opportunity to play with the more talented guys on offense. No offense to my high school teammates, those guys are the best but it’s exciting to have the chance to play D1 talent.”