Fabulous Fall Athletes and Their Fantastic Achievements

Mckenzie Burch celebrates with her teammates after scoring during a set against Northside

Eleanor Dare, Sports Editor

From football to volleyball, cross country to golf, the fall sports season is full of so many athletes. These athletes continue to achieve and support their team in incredible ways. The players make the team, and every single athlete contributes something great to their team. These specific athletes have contributed great things to their team and have helped pave the way to successful seasons with the other members of their team

Senior Blake Matheny is a running back for the RCHS Football team. Matheny has rushed for 200 yards in five games. Every athlete has a special moment in their career and every season. 

“My favorite moment of the season so far would be my first hand off during the Parry McCluer game because that was the first time I had ever gotten to run the ball in a varsity game which felt great,” said Matheny. 

Matheny splits the role of running back with multiple other players and only gets limited time on the field. Having this limitation can make it hard to achieve goals one has for the season. 

“My goal is to get a touchdown this season. I really want to have the moment of celebration and I hope to get that chance,” said Matheny. 

The football team has 4 more games left in the season including the Homecoming game on Oct. 21 before entering the postseason. 

Malcolm Kosmas is a junior and member of the boys cross country team. He has had a slow start to the season after dealing with some injuries but is looking to work his way back to peak running status. 

“I think my favorite part of the season would be watching my friends race and advance on the team,” said Kosmas.

Kosmas hopes to be back within the next couple weeks to be able to compete once again. 

“I hope to break my 5k record, so far due to my injury I haven’t been able to but I am planning to be back to finish out the season,” said Kosmas. 

On the girls cross country team, Junior Deena Ludtke has had multiple first place races and has continued to impress this season.

“My favorite moment of the season has to be when we won the Adidas Challenge in North Carolina. I was so lucky to be a part of that,” said Ludtke. 

The cross country team has had a winning season so far and hopes to continue that into the later fall. 

“I’m really hoping we make it to states as a team. I think we have worked hard and really deserve something like that,” said Ludtke. 

The cross country team has four more meets, as of Oct. 5, before they find out if they will be making it to states or not. 

Sophomore Andrew McCoy is a member of the golf team and has recently just made it to states along with the rest of his team. 

“My favorite moment of this year so far is either when I was a medalist at Woodstone Meadows or shooting 31 in a 9 hole match,” said McCoy.

The golf team will be attending states on Oct. 11. 

“My only goal for the rest of the season is to win states individually. There are a lot of talented players in the state but I think that if I play well I might have a chance. I really have nothing to lose at this point,” said McCoy.

Junior Mckenzie Burch is a right side player and a setter for the volleyball team. She has been a member of the volleyball team since 8th grade and a member of the varsity team since freshman year. 

“My favorite part of my season this year was being able to reach my 1,000 assists with my best friends. They have supported me through everything and reaching a big milestone with them made all the hard work worth it,” said Burch. 

Burch reached 1,000 assists during a game against Hidden Valley on Sept. 30. The ‘Cats won that game 3-0. They have five more games this season. 

“I hope we can get out of regions this year and continue to play as a unified team,” said Burch. 

These athletes are not the only ones to have incredible seasons but have been vital members to their team. For more on these athletes and continuing to follow their seasons, information can be found on Rockbridge Athletics website or on any of the Rockbridge Athletics socials.