Sport Management and Medicine Gains Popularity From Students

Emma Brooke

Senior Caitlyn Haynes keeping statistics for the football team.

Sarah Phelps, News Editor

Sports can be one of the biggest parts of student life at Rockbridge, and if a student is not playing a sport, some could be found watching or helping out in some way with the sports games. The boys lacrosse team and the wrestling team both have their own team manager.

Sports management consists of planning, directing, organization, and communication. An education in sports management could open up a road to being a coach, a manager, or getting into the business of sports. The business of sports, or sports marketing, is a way to promote sports events with advertisements and try to bring in business sponsors.

Senior Emma Brooke has been managing the boy’s lacrosse team for the last three years. Brooke takes care of the agenda, painting the fields, communication, social media, filming, keeping statistics, finances, laundry, and making sure every player is organized and where they need to be. 

“Managing a team has taught me analytical and leadership skills that are essential in my everyday life,” said Brooke. “Sports management is a very customizable position depending on the sport and what the team wants.”

For those interested in athletic directing, a degree in sports management can open up opportunities for a career in athletic directing. 

During the football season, senior Caitlyn Haynes shadowed her father, Mr. Adam Haynes, the Athletic Director, and kept statistics for the football team.

“I really enjoyed the opportunity that I was given helping out with our athletic department.,” said Haynes. “I got to see what goes on behind the scenes before games and what it takes to plan the games.”

Another part of sports at Rockbridge is athletic training. Athletic training in high school focuses on preventing athletic injuries and traveling to games to provide treatment if needed.

Juniors Maddie Dahl and Nala Shearer helped out in the athletic training department during the fall sport season.

Dahl is a teacher’s assistant for the athletic trainer, Courtney Simpkins, during seventh period, and she helps out with whatever Simpkins needs help with.

“I love being on the sideline helping Courtney and working with the team,” said Dahl. “The atmosphere on the sideline is so much better than in the stands because I can see everything firsthand.”

Many students have shown interest in sport management and medicine, and there have been some graduates, such as Keswick Owens, Rockbridge County alumni and current James Madison University student, who have gone on to help sport teams in college.

If a student is interested in a career in sport medicine, Rockbridge County High School offers Biology II: Anatomy and Physiology. This class can help the student learn more about the body, learn more about certain types of injuries and how those injuries are treated.

Currently, there is no class for sport management/marketing offered, but with the ever evolving class schedule, a class could be offered in the future. For questions about sport management or medicine, contact Courtney Simpkins or Adam Haynes.