MLB Season Kicks Off

The Philadelphia Phillies take on the Washington Nationals on August 6th. Photo taken by Sean Martino.

Sean Martino, Assistant Sports Editor

As spring approaches, so does the Major League Baseball season. Thirty teams battle it out over a 162-game regular season in order to crown a World Series champion. 

The normal fan favorites, like the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros, are still primed to have a successful season. There are also some upstart teams like the Baltimore Orioles or the Miami Marlins that could surprise some people by making a run at the postseason. Let us take a look at how this MLB season might shake out.

The American League is full of strong teams. The defending champions, the Houston Astros, will be a strong contender to return to the World Series. They are led by second-year phenom, shortstop Jose Pena. He burst onto the scene in the 2022 playoffs when he was crowned World Series MVP. The Houston Astros also have a strong pitching rotation led by Framber Valdez. Their main competition in the American League will likely be the New York Yankees. The Yankees are led by defending MVP, right fielder Aaron Judge. The New York Yankees also have some other big bats like second baseman Gleyber Torres and designated hitter Giancarlo Staunton. The Yankees pitching will also be strong as they are anchored by ace Gerrit Cole. Fans can expect the Yankees and the Astros to have lots of success this season. 

Freshman Price Lunsford believes the Yankees might have what it takes to go all the way.

“The Yankees lineup has potential to take them all the way to the World Series,” said Lunsford. 

The American League has some young upstart teams, notably the Baltimore Orioles and the Kansas City Royals. The Orioles have lots of young talent like 2021 first overall pick, Adley Rutchman. They also have some young and exciting pitching prospects. The Baltimore fanbase that has been starving for success may finally have something to cheer for. The Kansas City Royals have also had multiple poor seasons in a row, but things could be looking up. They have some key players, namely shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. and right fielder Nathan Eaton who is an alumnus of VMI. Orioles and Royals fans have reason to be cautiously optimistic heading into the season. 

The National League will likely be topped by the Los Angeles Dodgers and the New York Mets. The Dodgers dominant pitching headed by Walker Buehler and Clayton Kershaw should help them see lots of success. However, the Mets will also be strong contenders. They are led by superstar shortstop Francisco Lindor and pitcher Justin Verlander. The Mets and Dodgers will be the favorites to top the National League.

Sophomore Clay Irvine thinks the Mets have a chance to win the World Series.

“The Mets combination of pitching and strong hitting should make them World Series favorites,” said Irvine.

The National League sleeper team could be the Miami Marlins. After years of irrelevancy, their swagger has returned behind second baseman, Jazz Chisolm. They also have arguably the best pitcher in baseball with Sandy Alcantara. The Marlins may make some noise in the National League standings this season. 

Every MLB season brings surprises, and 2023 will be no different. Fans can expect some teams to stay dominant, while others struggle. New superstars will emerge, as old ones also flourish. Spring training games will begin on Feb. 24, while Opening Day for the regular season is March 30.