Sophomore Lillian Woody is thrilled for her first year of journalism and becoming a reporter for the prowler. Her birthday is September 12.  She likes to read and run during her free time.  She is a...

Girls Volleyball Rise to Expectations

Senior outside hitter Maddie Dahl hits the ball.
Lola Mulitalo

Starting this season with an 11 game win streak and eight more games to go, girls varsity volleyball has been working to knock last year’s record (18-6) out of the park. The team is made up of 12 athletes and three coaches.

Driving this team are five seniors, one junior, five sophomores, and one freshman. Coach Kassidy Beagan as Head Coach for Varsity, Haileigh Patterson as Assistant Coach, and Jaden Harrison as Head Coach for Junior Varsity (JV).

As they are getting ready for their upcoming challenges this season, such as facing strong opponents, players and coaches are stepping up in many ways. 

“Training for an important game involves a combination of physical and mental preparation,” said Coach Beagan “My expectations this year for our team is to improve our overall performance from last year.”

The singular freshman Geneva Snyder has played the sport for 6 years, playing outside and right side on the court. She shares her experience on the team.

“At first being the youngest one was scary, but now everyone is so supportive and nice,” said Snyder. “My goal this year is to think faster while I’m playing and to become an overall better player.” 

One of the five senior captains, McKenzie Burch, talks about how the team is mentally preparing for the long season ahead. 

“This year our team decided to pick two words, trust and intentional, that we were gonna say to keep everybody focused and ready to play,” said Burch.  

Burch also comments on how the role of being a captain affects her.

“We all have our own captain abilities and that’s why we work so well together, my job mostly is to keep people in line and  making sure my teammates are doing something a certain way,” said Burch. 

These young ladies are on their way to success and are working hard every day. Come support our lady cats at the next game Sept. 26. At Turner Ashby.