Maddie Dahl
Maddie Dahl
Editor-in-Chief

Senior Maddie Dahl is a second year member and Editor in Chief of the Prowler. Dahl represents RCHS on the volleyball court during the fall and the lacrosse field in the spring. Off the field and outside...

Exploring the Decline of the NFL Running Back

Professional running back Jonathan Taylor of the Indianapolis Colts, is in the last year of his four year rookie contract. He is set to make 4.3 million dollars this year, but he is threatening to sit out so that he may be traded. Taylor wants a contract extension that will pay more than his current salary. Why won’t the Colts give their best player more money so that he stays with their team? The answer is complex. 

According to ESPN, data shows that running backs begin to slow down in their mid 20’s (Taylor is 24). Historically, it is rare for a running back’s second contract to be beneficial to the team.  

Since Taylor is still a productive player, the Colts are not willing to let him go for nothing. It is rumored that the Colts want a first round draft choice for Taylor. However, several NFL general managers have indicated that the best the Colts will get is a second round pick. Both Taylor and the Colts are in a difficult position. It is almost certain that if Taylor does not  get a new contract he will leave the Colts at the end of the year, and they will get nothing.  However, if Taylor is unsuccessful with getting an extension with the Colts, it is likely he will take a significant pay cut during free agency. If the Colts are not willing to pay him more, why is another team not taking this opportunity to trade for him?

There are multiple reasons why teams will not trade for a running back. Many coaches, managers, and even players have speculated that this may be due to their specific skill sets and oversupply. Why pay more for one star running back, when you can create a contract with another player for cheaper? With the position losing value, many other running backs are in this situation. As stated by CBS, running backs used to be essential to a team, but now other positions, such as wide receivers, are much more efficient.  Running backs are limited with the abilities and skill sets they offer, compared to wide receivers, who can offer much more. Running backs may be slightly faster on hand offs, but without the other main skills such as receiving, they aren’t valued as highly. 

According to ESPN, during the 2022-2023 NFL season, Dalvin Cook, running back for the Minnesota Vikings, recorded 264 carries for a total of 1,173 yards. Last season Justin Jefferson, a  receiver for the Vikings, recorded a total of 128 receptions for 1,809 yards. Jefferson recorded 600 more yards than Cook in 136 less carries. It is likely that scenarios like these have affected other star running backs in the NFL, such as Saquon Barkley and Ezekiel Elliot. If star running backs remain limited to their skill sets, the running back will continue to be undervalued for the foreseeable future.