The student news site of Rockbridge County High School

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

Meet the Staff

Sophomore Lillian Woody is thrilled for her first year of journalism and becoming a reporter for the prowler. Her birthday is September 12.  She likes to read and run during her free time.  She is a...

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this article belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

Volleyball Cruises into State Tournament

The Wildcats celebrate after the victory.
Photo courtesy of Rockbridge Athletics.
The Wildcats celebrate after the victory. Photo courtesy of Rockbridge Athletics.

Rockbridge hosted the Region 3C semifinals Nov. 2 as they welcomed the Spotswood Blazers. This was a key game hosted by Rockbridge in recent memory as the winner advanced to the Class 3 State Tournament.

The Wildcats had previously defeated the Blazers Oct. 25 to take home the Valley District title. The two teams are quite familiar as Spotswood is always a contender in the district. Rockbridge was 3-0 against the Blazers coming into the match from district matches.

Rockbridge jumped off to a quick start in the first set, forcing Spotswood to call an early timeout. Strong defense from senior libero Nala Shearer was a key in this first set victory. The Wildcats led from start to finish and closed out the first set with a 25-12 victory.

Feeding off the energy from the home crowd, Rockbridge continued to dominate in the second set. Senior outside hitter Sophie Vaught contributed a kill that forced Spotswood to call another timeout and they never responded. Rockbridge never looked back and concluded the second set with a 25-14 victory.

Senior outside hitter Sophia Perlozzo spoke about how the team responds in big moments.

“Our connection was stronger than it has been all season because we were all focussed on the same goal of advancing,” said Perlozzo.

She continued to discuss the strong team dynamic.

“Our focus was on point and I have never been so proud to be a part of this team with this group of girls,” said Perlozzo.

With their season on the line, Spotswood took an early lead in the third set behind strong serve receive. The set was close throughout, with each team making play after play. Finally, the Wildcats pulled ahead to win 25-20.

This win guaranteed a State Tournament berth. The Wildcats are 27-1 and defeated Rustburg for the regional title Nov. 4. They will be hosting the state quarterfinals Nov. 11 against a to be determined opponent.