Breaking News
The student news site of Rockbridge County High School

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

Meet the Staff
Eliot McDonald
Eliot McDonald
Broadcast Editor

Junior Eliot McDonald is the staff videographer for the Prowler staff  but also loves writing articles of many kinds. In this coming year of Journalism, McDonald wants to expand his repertoire of writing...

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this article belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

The MLB is Finally Back

Graphic Created on Canva of MLB Logos
Gardner Clement
Graphic Created on Canva of MLB Logos

Major League Baseball (MLB) season is underway, and there have already been many injuries and surprises. First, the Dodgers made big acquisitions to their team after last season. For one, they got the most coveted player in the MLB, Shohei Ohtani. He is a weapon; he is one of the best pitchers, and one of the best power hitters in the league. As well as Shohei Ohtani, they also acquired Tyler Glasnow, one of the best pitchers in the league from the Tampa Bay Rays. 

Other notable acquisitions over the off season was the Yankees getting Juan Soto from the San Diego Padres. He was an outfielder for the Padres and one of their best hitters. The Yankees needed a big acquisition over the summer because they had a lackluster season last year. Another big setback is that Gerrit Cole is out for the year this season, so they had to balance out their bullpen and their batting order. 

There have been many big surprises. First, the Oakland A’s are moving to Las Vegas by 2028, and so their fans are “boycotting” their games. They had easily the worst attendance of any team in the MLB, and still no one goes to their games. They have no “superstar,” and no face of the franchise. Many fans are losing hope for the A’s, and not even watching the games. 

Additionally, one thing that the MLB still has this year are the powerhouse teams. There are many teams that had really good regular seasons, like the Dodgers and the Braves who got eliminated in the postseason. There are also some more “dark horse” teams, which are teams that don’t appear good on paper, but might be good World Series contenders like the Guardians or the Yankees. Many people wouldn’t think that they would be favorites to win the World Series, but all of their players play together and all have chemistry.

Finally, there are many young players that are developing the MLB. Last year, the Cincinnati Reds called up the top prospect, Elly De La Cruz. He absolutely destroyed the MLB; he is probably the quickest and one of the most hard hitting players in the league. He is an electric defender and has a really strong arm. The year before, the Braves called up top prospect Michael Harris II, who still starts for the Atlanta Braves. This year, the Orioles called up top prospect, Jackson Holliday, who had a slower start than the other stars. We think that it’ll take a little time for him to develop and adapt to the different pace that the MLB has vs the minor leagues.

We think that this MLB season is gonna be an extremely entertaining season and a joy for baseball fans to watch because of the new talent and seeing the dark horse teams make their World Series run!