Breaking News
The student news site of Rockbridge County High School

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

Disclaimer

The views expressed in opinion articles belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

The PGA Championship is Here

Graphic Created on Canva of the PGA Championship
Gardner Clement

The 2024 PGA Championship will take place from May 16-19 at Valhalla Country Club in Louisville, Kentucky. Valhalla has hosted PGA Championships in 2000 and 2014. Tiger Woods took home the Wanamaker trophy in 2000, and Rory McIlroy got the win in 2014. Both of these championships were very exciting and came down to the wire. The 2024 PGA Championship has a lot of hype to live up to, but we think that it will deliver. 

The PGA Championship takes place once a year around this time in May. The course where the tournament is played rotates every year. This format provides viewers with different expectations each year.

Scottie Scheffler is the favorite to win this year’s PGA Championship. Scheffler dominated the Masters tournament last month, winning by 4 strokes. Scheffler is a young star in the making who often shows up in big moments. Fresh off his masters win, he is looking to stay hot and win another major. 

Graphic Created on Canva of PGA Championship Players (Gardner Clement)

Defending champion, Brooks Koepka, enters this year’s tournament on a hot streak. Koepka won the LIV Golf tournament at Sentosa Golf Club in Singapore on May 5th. Koepka is a golfer who typically plays well in the Majors. He won the 2017 and 2018 US Opens. In addition, Koepka also won the 2018, 2019, and 2023 PGA Championships. This prestigious golfer will have a solid week and perform well at Valhalla.

Another pre-championship favorite is Xander Schauffele. Schauffele has never won a major championship, but he’s come close many times. Schauffele tied for 2nd in the 2021 Masters Championship. Although he hasn’t come through in a Major, it seems as if Schauffele’s time is almost here. 

One player who is on the outside of most expert’s picks is Matt Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick is a very consistent player from England. He has been dominant on the European Tour in his career. However, Fitzpatrick hasn’t been as successful on American Soil with the 2022 US Open being his only major win. We are very excited to watch this year’s championship, and see how this PGA Championship plays out.