Breaking News

The views expressed in opinion articles belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

NBA Playoffs

Graphic by Samuel Ballstaedt
Graphic by Samuel Ballstaedt

The NBA season is coming to an end. But before the finals are decided, teams still have to battle through the playoffs. In the playoffs, there are four rounds. All rounds, teams play a series of best of seven, or first to win four games. The first round has been finished, but with a few upsets. 

In the East, the Boston Celtics, New York Knicks and Cleveland Cavaliers won, but the number six seed Indiana Pacers upset the number three seed Milwaukee Bucks. Despite being the lower seed, the Pacers won four games to the Bucks two.

Here at RCHS, many people are watching the playoffs including Coach Ben Kabzinski. Coach K is a big fan of anything Indiana so reasonably he wants the Indiana Pacers to win. 

“I like the playoffs because it’s the highest form of basketball the NBA can get to,” said Kabzinski. “You actually see the best out of most of the superstars which makes it more entertaining.”

Out West, the Oklahoma City Thunder, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Timberwolves all won their first rounds as the high seed but the fourth seed LA Clippers lost to the five seed Dallas Mavericks. The Mavericks being led by Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving led to a four to two series win. Despite the Clippers having Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Russel Westbrook, and James Harden, four possible future Hall of Famers, were not able to put the teamwork together to get enough wins. 

In the second round, the Celtics were sent against the Cavaliers, Boston won 4-1. New York plays Indiana, a rivalry that has gone back to Reggie Miller and Patrick Ewing. The Knicks lead the series 3-2. In the West second round the Thunder lead the Mavericks 3-2, and the Nuggets lead the Timberwolves 3-2 as well. 

Junior Ethen Camden, a student here at RCHS that watches the Playoffs.

“I want the Minnesota Timberwolves to win because Anthony Edwards is such an amazing player,” said Camden. “What I like about the Playoffs is the competitive game play that goes on, players talking trash and being able to watch some crazy shots go in.”

To end the Playoffs, the Celtics are awaiting the winner of the Knicks and Pacers. The winner of the second round series advances to the Conference finals. The winner of the conference finals will advance to the NBA Finals where it will be East vs West. The first game of the series will be the Jun. 6.