Dr. Dre Makes a Recovery

Adam Elrod, Reporter

According to TMZ, on Jan. 4, 2021, Dre was rushed to Cedar Point hospital after suffering a brain aneurysm. Dre was in ICU for a week before reappearing on social media. A number of rappers showed their support for Dre after his incident. Rapper Missy Eliot is a close friend of Dre’s. “Prayers up for Dr. Dre and his family for healing & strength over his mind & body,” said Eliot. Ice Cube, another close friend and coworker of Dre’s, sent his love as well by posting “Send your love and prayers to the homie Dr Dre.”

Since Dre’s hospitalization, he claims to have made a full recovery and is in a lucid state. “I will be out of the hospital and back home soon,” said Dre. “Shout out to all the great medical professionals at Cedars. One Love.”

Dr. Dre, born Andre Young, is a rapper and producer from Los Angeles, CA. Dre was born and raised in Compton, CA and started music when he was in high school. Dre was a popular rapper in the 1980’s, most recognized for his involvement with the rap group he was in, partnering with Eazy-E, Ice Cube, DJ Yella, and MC Ren. Dre went on to be a co-owner of Death Row Records. Dre produced music for famous rappers including Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z, and Eminem. 

In 2008, Dre released a line of music equipment called Beats By Dre. Since then, Apple has bought the Beats company for $3 Billion. According to TMZ, in 2013, Jimmy Lovine and Dre donated $70 million to The University of South California to create the USC Jimmy Lovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts. In 2017, Dre donated $10 million to the new Compton high school for their arts program. 

Dre has been a prominent figure in the rap industry for a long time and is one of the most influential producers and rappers to come through the business. Dre was a pioneer of gangster rap music with his rap group. He is an icon who shows all aspiring musicians that you can make it in the industry no matter what your background is or what hardships you go through in your career. With many young rappers having their lives taken away so soon, it was scary to see one of the originals on the brink of death. It has been a relief to see him make a full recovery and return back to his life in LA.