Myths Surrounding Ukraine Conflict Breed Anxiety

An MiG-29, the same model associated with the urban legend the Ghost of Kyiv

Ben Haskett, Reporter

As the Russian invasion of Ukraine continues, many misconceptions and myths have sprung up surrounding the conflict. From heroic urban legends to undue panic, these misunderstandings range from fantastical to fanatical. Having an accurate picture of massive international events such as this is integral to being an informed global citizen, and it can also be very helpful in reducing anxiety. 

One of the more mythical rumors surrounding the Ukrainian conflict is that of the Ghost of Kyiv. The Ghost of Kyiv is rumored to be a fighter pilot who took down between six and seven Russian jets in defense of Ukrainian capital Kyiv, but any reports of such a person have remained unconfirmed. Several videos, including clips posted by Ukrainian government agencies, that supposedly depicted the Ghost in action have been revealed to be mislabeled, archival footage or computer generated imagery. The Ukrainian government has also stated that the legend of the Ghost of Kyiv has served as a morale booster for citizens. Legends like this are relatively harmless, but can contribute to the glorification of war and the idolization of violence. 

Locally, many people, especially RCHS students, have noticed a spike in gas prices. 

“I’m going to start driving my lawnmower to school!” said senior Zach Bean.

Claims as to why this has occurred mainly focus on sanctions on allegations of mismanagement on president Biden’s behalf, but in reality it is largely a matter of private business. Sanctions on trade with Russia do have an impact on the ability to utilize Russia’s large petroleum resources, but this alone would not account for a major increase in prices. In fact, petroleum corporations such as Chevron, Exxon Mobil, and Shell, have decided independently to boycott Russian oil. This causes a decrease in the available oil supply, which, coupled with the consistent demand for gas, causes a large noticeable and burdensome increase in prices. This will likely persist, pushing prices upwards for a few weeks, but eventually the supplies will rebalance and rates will become more manageable. 

Some misconceptions about the Ukrainian conflict have become more partisan than others–especially the nature of Ukraine’s democracy. Right wing pundits, most notably Fox’s Tucker Carlson, have espoused the notion that Ukraine is not a democracy. This stance largely serves as a refutation of president Joe Biden, vice president Kamala Harris, and many other prominent Democrats who have framed Russia’s invasion as an attack on democracy. Neither side is entirely correct, but Ukraine is–constitutionally–a democracy. The country holds regular and open elections, and the election of president Volodymyr Zelenski has been seen as an example of the Ukrainian people’s voices being more represented as Zelenski was not previously part of the political elite. However, corruption is a longstanding issue in the country’s politics, and it’s still seen as completing its transition to true democracy. 

Additionally, Russia is seen as possibly the largest roadblock in Ukraine’s progress towards democracy, as they regularly interfere with elections, encourage separatism, and increasingly carry out violent attacks within Ukraine’s borders. Ukraine has a score of 6.86 on the Human Freedom Index, which ranks countries based on factors like rule of law, security, freedom of religion, freedom of expression and information and several others. This score is just slightly below the international average of 7.13, and higher than that of major powers Russia and China, indicating that Ukrainian citizens experience a relatively average level of freedom–something not seen in nondemocratic countries on the Index.

As fighting escalates, many young people are wondering what they can do to help the situation. While it is true that there are few opportunities beyond donations to help Ukraine directly, there is still important work to be done locally. Being informed, dispelling rumors, and staying current with developments may seem trivial, but it can actually make a difference for those around you. Being a calm, educated, voice of reason makes things less confusing for others, and you can help those around you to feel more confident in their understanding of the Ukrainian conflict.