Junior Amber Carter is a first-year Prowler reporter excited to join in on keeping you in the loop about everything going on. She has moved here recently all the way from California to become a new addition...

Baseball and Softball Fight Hard in Season Openers

“Baseball Team Prepares for Game” by Rockbridge County High School Athletics licensed under https://www.instagram.com/rockbridgeathletics/

Varsity baseball and softball played their season opener with a non-conference game against Fort Defiance March 13. The evening was great for a ball game with light sun and perfect temperature. Baseball lost 3-13 to Fort Defiance, while softball lost a close 5-6 in extra innings.

Baseball had a strong start to the game, leading the first inning 2-0 with a highlight triple (getting to third base in one play) by junior shortstop Clay Irvine. However, mishaps in the infield plagued the team for the rest of the game.

“I thought we did pretty good. We just got too comfortable with the lead and we let it go,” said Clay.

Sophomore Bennett Bishop, senior Zach Majors, and junior Brady Edwards all pitched for the team.

Softball had a similarly strong start, up 5-4 at the half. But, Fort Defiance fought tooth and nail and was able to claw the win away from the ‘Cats in extra innings. 

Sophomore pitcher Sadie Moore gave her thoughts on the game: “I think it went good and I think we all worked as a team.We all wanted to win that game but we worked really hard and I wish we could have won but will get them next time.”

Both teams will play at home against Staunton High School March 23.