Grace Fleshman is a junior and a second-year reporter on this year’s Prowler staff. After learning a lot last year about journalism, she decided to become the news editor. She is ready and excited for...

CTE Renovations Affect RCHS

Colter Bennett, CTE Teacher, working with students in a temporary outdoor tent. Photo taken by Addie Flint.

On July 27, 2023 Rockbridge County Public Schools made their first dig at the ground of RCHS’s CTE wing. This was the beginning of the demolition process in order to rebuild and redesign the hallway to give students the best learning experience possible. 

What was previously known as the Floyd S. Kay Technical Center will now be called the Rockbridge Innovation Center (RIC) after it is fully renovated. 

School Board member Catie Brown speaks about how the updates will positively impact our community. 

“The biggest factor in the decision making for the RIC’s renovation, for me, is ensuring we can have a space that meets as many of our student and community needs as possible,” said Brown. “The layout of the campus determined the allowable size of the structure. Our goal now is to make sure that space is maximized to its full potential with innovative offerings.”

Due to the construction of the new wing, it is currently blocked off from the rest of the school, preventing certain teachers from teaching in their old classrooms. Some of these teachers are now teaching students mobily, moving from classroom to classroom, or in temporary outdoor tents, located behind RCHS. 

Paige Owens, the Director of Technology and Career and Technical Education, speaks about the adjustment. 

“While the renovation is causing some less than perfect instructional situations, the teachers and the students are adapting well,” said Owens. “Teachers will continue to learn and adapt what they are doing to make their classrooms conducive to learning.”

Although adapting to this new environment and change of pace can be difficult for teachers and students, Owens gives thanks to the staff at RCHS who are being affected by this renovation. 

“I can’t give enough praise to all of the CTE teachers for how hard they have worked to manipulate their curriculum and instructional spaces to develop high-quality learning environments,” said Owens. 

The renovations being made to the CTE wing are scheduled to be finished by December 24, 2023. 

“The new Rockbridge Innovation Center will be an amazing space for teaching and learning when it is completed,” says Owens. “As a result, we have all started to embrace the motto that Dr. Thompson has reiterated since the beginning of this process,   ‘This will be short- term pain for long-term gain.’”

For more information on the progress of the CTE renovation at RCHS, visit the school’s homepage at https://www.rockbridge.k12.va.us/RCHS.