The student news site of Rockbridge County High School

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

THE PROWLER

Meet the Staff

Sophomore Carlos Reynolds, a first year reporter for The Prowler hopes to develop new skills through writing and video taping. He enrolled in the class after watching countless Wildcat Weekly, and reading...

Disclaimer

The views expressed in this article belong to the reporter, and do not reflect the views held by Rockbridge County High School, the Prowler Staff, and its members.

Coach “J” Takes Over Boys Lacrosse Head Coaching Position

Boys+lacrosse+players+huddle+after+the+game.+
Stephanie Blevins
Boys lacrosse players huddle after the game.

A new era of Rockbridge boys lacrosse has begun. After playing, coaching, and refereeing the game, Coach John Whitelock, known to athletes as Coach J, has finally landed the head coach position for the boys lacrosse team. He began coaching at Rockbridge four years ago, followed by a year off, but has decided to come out of retirement for more. 

His love for the game and the need to fill the head coaching position lured him back to Rockbridge. 

“I was a so-so player, but I really loved lacrosse. I became a student of the game. 

I’ve coached at a couple different highschools and refereed for 25 years, [I] just never wanted to get away,” said Whitelock. “I’ve been around lacrosse my entire life. I played youth lacrosse and a couple years of college lacrosse as well,” said Whitelock. 

Alongside Whitelock on the coaching staff is George Ray. Ray has been involved in Lexington Lacrosse, also known as LexLax, since it came into existence. LexLax is the local club team for elementary and middle schoolers that gives young athletes a strong lacrosse foundation by the time they get to high school. 

Eighth graders have the opportunity to try out for JV, a chance which many take. With six or seven kids coming up from the middle schools, the JV team is looking bright. 

“Good varisties come from good JV’s. We have six 8th graders coming up, and we didn’t have a whole lot of seniors graduate last year,” said Whitelock. “We have a good nucleus of returning players, and four strong seniors for this season too.”

With a solid group of upperclassmen challenged by fresh competition coming from the younger kids, Whitelock sets his goals high for the upcoming season. 

“The season goal is to win 10 games.  The best we’ve ever done was to the first game in the playoffs and go no further,” said Whitelock. “We have a solid group of players with a lot of talent and so I’d like to see us go deeper in the playoffs this year.”

During preseason and the start of season, Whitelock plans on conditioning and getting back to the basics, getting sticks back into the hands of the players so that they are ready to roll when the first game comes around. 

There will be an intersquad Blue and White game Sat. March 9 to kick off the season, followed by a family picnic in the pavilion.