Junior Noah Carroll is a first year reporter for the Prowler. As a first year student, he is ready to take on the challenges he faces. Carroll plays for the varsity boys soccer team and is also a part...

FBLA and Journalism Takes a Trip to Mock Con

Stephen Wells
Candace Owen speaks at MockCon.

On Feb. 9 and 10, Rockbridge County High School(RCHS)’s own Future Business Leaders of America(FBLA) club and Journalism Class was invited to the Mock Convention at Washington and Lee University(WLU). Martha Ernest, Director of Community Outreach, provided seven tickets for FBLA students to attend. 

Every four years, WLU takes part in this influential event in order to predict the presidential nominee for the party out of power or referred as watchdog. So far, they have predicted nominees with 75% success rate. 

With four sessions of political features and voting, they cement the prediction. Political speakers, politicians, press secretaries, and activities are involved as speakers to touch on a political topic at hand in front of hundreds of attendees. After their speeches and candidate endorsement, each delegation casts their vote on the nominee. 

The host of speakers this year include Donald Trump Jr., Glenn Youngkin, Brian Kemp, Mike Pompeo, Asa Hutchinson, Charlie Kirk, Candance Owens, Kayleigh McEnany, Kristen Anderson, Jonathan Haidt, Chris Miller, Wesley Hunt, and Ruthless Variety Podcast. 

FBLA and Journalism took a field trip to the initial sessions on the Friday, Feb. 9 along with the beforehand parade on Main Street. President Will Gibbs, Member Youssef Azab, and Reporter Stephen Wells attended the first session with Supervisor Mrs. Balkey and ate at the Marketplace. For Journalism, Senior Sean Martino, Junior Jack Jensen, and others attended the first and other sessions.

FBLA Member Youssef Azab shares his experience at the Mock Convention.

“I quite enjoyed my Mock Con experience. The event itself was quite large, and the dedication and attention to detail that W&L put into the event was obvious everywhere I looked. The parade at the beginning of the event was well planned, and the speakers were well chosen. The speakers ranged from major figures in the republican party to analysts and experts that had valuable experience and unique perspectives on major issues that people raised about policy and strategy. In one word, the event was mindopening, and I would definitely go again if I had the chance,” said Azab.

Journalism Senior Sean Martino shares his involvement at the Mock Convention.

“It was a good experience. Definitely cool to see the whole convention in  action, along with all the impressive speakers. I was very grateful for the opportunity to go,” said Martino.

At the end, the Mock Con crew ended out with Donald Trump being the presidential nominee prediction. In four more years, they will meet up again to predict the next party out of power’s candidate.