Quincy McCall Speers is a Junior at Rockbridge County High School and a first year Prowler member.  He is a Co-President of the RCHS Outing Club and loves to use words such as, “word, real, unreal,...

RCHS competes at districts and regionals

For the past few weeks, winter sports have had their divisional and regional championships. These athletes have gone out and represented Rockbridge through fierce competition and hard work. It is through these athletes and their impressive performances that RCHS is able to maintain its athletic standing throughout the region.  Let’s take a moment and look back to appreciate all of the hard work and success that these athletes have achieved in Academic Team, Indoor Track, Swimming, and Wrestling.

The RCHS Academic Team snatched both the district and region titles in a dominant performance. 

Junior Paul Drumbl explains his thought process during the competition.

“During the match I was trying to stay calm and take in each part of each question so that I could have a better chance at getting the answer,” said Drumbl.  

The Academic Team will be moving onto the state championship Saturday, Feb. 24. 

Indoor Track had a productive district meet at VMI on Feb. 1, with eight runners advancing to the regional championship. At districts, the girls had Celia Jones, Evelyn Mclung, Anna Nye, Libba Erskine, Lola Mulitalo, Alice Gresham, Abigail Harding, Emily Carroll, Elsa Kerin-Rice, Halina Homiak, Cate Skaggs, and both relay teams all cracking the top ten in their respective events. The boys had Fisher Howald, Ethan Erskine, Chase Potter, as well as both relays cracking the top ten. Junior John Brooke also ran, placing 12th in the 55 meter dash and 15th in the 300 meter dash. “I was trying to focus on getting off my clocks quickly and keeping my head up when I was sprinting,” Brooke says when asked about his thought process during the race. 

At regionals, Celia Jones, Anna Nye, Libba Erskine, Abigail Harding, Lola Mulitato, Emily Carroll, Halina Homiak, and Fisher Howald all competed. Some highlights were the girls 4×400 relay placing 6th, Halinna Homiak placing 8th in the shot put, Celia Jones placing 7th in the 55 meter hurdles, and Fisher Howald playing 9th in the 1000 and 1600 meter run.

The Swim Team competed in both the district and regional championships with the boys team achieving second place at both competitions. At the district championship, the Swim Team racked up five gold medals, five silver medals, and two bronze medals. At regionals, Spencer Pfaff and Keagan Black both took home one gold and one silver medals, and both boys relays achieved 2nd, securing spots at the state championship. Rio Bucy also managed to get 5th in the 500 freestyle securing her a spot at states.

Wrestling had a productive district meet with Finnegan Miller, John Davis, Graham Niebur, Ryan Maxwell, Hudson Ryan, Caiden Cavazos, Markus Nelson, Aidan Williams, Tucker Towle, Sawyer Hattersly, Kellan Dorey, John Lindberg, and Price Lundsford all advancing to Regionals. At regionals, Finn Miller placed 4th in the 106 weight class, John Davis took 4th in the 113 weight class, Ryan Maxwell won the 132 weight class, Hudson Ryan placed 3rd in the 138 weight class, Caiden Cavazos took 3rd in the 144 weight class, Markus Nelson placed 4th in the 150 weight class, and Aidan Williams took 3rd in the 157 weight class. Ryan Maxwell, Sawyer Hattersly, Hudson Ryan, Aidan Williams, and Kellan Dorey all moved onto states. 

These athletes have continued to proudly represent RCHS day in and day out each and every year. They have helped to secure RCHS as both an athletic and academic powerhouse, even in the face of a competitive region. Congratulations to all these athletes who sacrificed their time and effort to represent our school.